Home Technical Talk

rendering max vertex color

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
so i was laying down some base colors with vertex paint on a high poly mesh but it doesn't render. just curious if there is a way to convert vertex painted color to material ID or something?

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    What do you mean it doesn't render? Did you apply a Vertex Color Map to the Material?
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: »
    What do you mean it doesn't render? Did you apply a Vertex Color Map to the Material?

I applied vertexpaint modifier on top of editable poly and then painted away. Should I have applied vertex color map first?

Sorry I've never used vertex paint before...I don't know the procedure. I thought if I painted my verts and then collapsed the stack it would become a multi-sub object...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    You need to apply a Material with a Vertex Color Map to your object. But you can do it after painting. It just tells the renderer to use the Vertex Color. Just use a Standard Material and put a Vertex Color Map in the Diffuse Channel. It should render then.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: »
    You need to apply a Material with a Vertex Color Map to your object. But you can do it after painting. It just tells the renderer to use the Vertex Color. Just use a Standard Material and put a Vertex Color Map in the Diffuse Channel. It should render then.

Thanks. It was being funky at first and only showing Red, green and blue. I was applying the vertex color map first under diffuse and then applying the material to the object. Looks like the material must be applied first and then the vertex map.