Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

He-Man (MOTU) !!WIP!!

Update on Page 4

Hi,

in my spare-time I work on a re-design of the well-known comic-hero, He-Man.
I hope not to dissapoint the one or the other MOTU-fan.
But now there's still plenty of time to point out mistakes and other suggestions for improvement, before I start the retopology and subsequently the texturing process.

So, time for crits & comments!

Before you take me apart, just for note, I still have to do hair and fur, but that I'll do in Maya via alpha-planes or so...

The sword hasn't been touched yet neither.

And last but not least, unfortunately I couldn't display everything in it's highest Sub-D level, so only the highlighted ones are in it's highest resolution.

But enough talking, here some WIP-shots

hemansculptsignfront01.jpg

hemansculptsheathfront0.jpg

hemansculptbeltfront01.jpg

hemansculptbagfront01.jpg

hemansculptbootsfront01.jpg

hemansculptbootsright01.jpg

hemansculptcloseupfront.jpg

hemansculptcloseupright.jpg

hemansculptcloseupback0.jpg

hemansculptcloseupleft0.jpg

hemansculptheadfront01.jpg

hemansculptheadright01.jpg

hemansculptheadback01.jpg

hemansculptfullfront01.jpg

hemansculptfullright01.jpg

hemansculptfrontback01.jpg

Hope, you like it ...

Replies

• Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, I think his shoulders should be a little wider, or his mid-section a little thinner though.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Not too bad! I honestly dont see the "redesign" really unless you mean the short/no hair, or removing one of the straps for his chest logo thing.

I think the weakest area is the face right now. Try finding a celebrity or model or two you think looks like the character you're trying to make and really pay attention to the shapes & volumes of the face. Especially the mouth, right now your guy has CG-mouthitis or a mild case of duck lips. While...yes there are people who probably look like that, I don't think it was your intention.

Keep it up tho! Looking pretty hot otherwise!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    wow, very well done detail man. great job there.

it looks, from your other stuff, that you know what you're doing... although to me, the proportions for this guy seem really off. his legs look tiny and bowed in. his stubby feet aren't doing him any favors either IMO. i think the choice ot make the head so disproportionately smaller to his chest is interesting given the fact that he's he-man.. but I'm not sure if i agree with it.

It looks like you're focused on medium to small details first and foremost. I think you did an amazing job with that.. but i'm not sure if i'm buying the general proportions...
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good job!
    as tall as he is, his arms seem kinda short. if the arms were to be down, the elbow should be at the naval and fingers at mid-thigh.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    You need to "gay up" the hair quite a bit. Looks good otherwise :p
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with "Gaying up the hair" Just like in this video...

Here use for inspiration plz. Kthx

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Nc8RCLy1s[/ame]
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol he man was a legend. Good model so far, he doesnt look much like he-man without the gay hair though. battlecat would be a great model too!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Hello, thats realy great model, also subject is fantastic :)
    I loved to watch cartoons about he-man when I was kid. Although you need to take care of some problems pointed by users above me, also I can just add one more wish :) Please make his chest muscles more round , something like this: http://www.se.pl/media/pics/2008/09/15/pudzian_460x370.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    there are not enough muscules!
    he should be really big! aint right?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gay hair...we demand it! he man is not allowed to look 100% badass, he needs a well groomed and feathered comic relief on his head

-Woog
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    LOoks good for something that wasnt ever supposed to be three d.

He needs bigger balls.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too bad! I honestly dont see the "redesign" really unless you mean the short/no hair, or removing one of the straps for his chest logo thing.

I think the weakest area is the face right now. Try finding a celebrity or model or two you think looks like the character you're trying to make and really pay attention to the shapes & volumes of the face. Especially the mouth, right now your guy has CG-mouthitis or a mild case of duck lips. While...yes there are people who probably look like that, I don't think it was your intention.

Keep it up tho! Looking pretty hot otherwise!

Yeah, you're right. There ain't much of a redesign.

About his face, I did use a celeb as a reference, Dolph Lundgren. But I just wanted to lean the char towards Dolphy-Boy, not tried to hit a 100% likeness.

And his duck-lips, I tried to reshape them a lil' now, but couldn't achieve what I wanted, since I obviously have a f*cked up geometry around his mouth. I'll reshape them after the retopology is done.

hemansculptheadright01.jpg

hemansculptheadfront01.jpg
    Celes wrote: »
    good job!
    as tall as he is, his arms seem kinda short. if the arms were to be down, the elbow should be at the naval and fingers at mid-thigh.

I'm not really there with you, mate. As far as I know do end the elbows somewhere around the lowest point of a human's ripcage and the naval, what lets the fingers end up at mid-thigh.
    Konras wrote: »
    Hello, thats realy great model, also subject is fantastic :)
    I loved to watch cartoons about he-man when I was kid. Although you need to take care of some problems pointed by users above me, also I can just add one more wish :) Please make his chest muscles more round , something like this: http://www.se.pl/media/pics/2008/09/15/pudzian_460x370.jpg

Sorry man, no can do! I love that broad, Arnold Schwarzenegger type of chest!!!
    conte wrote: »
    there are not enough muscules!
    he should be really big! aint right?

MORE MUSCLES???
    Come on, man. This ain't no Hulk!

And to all the others:

Okay, I will 'gay up' his hair. But as I said in my first post, hair and fur I'll probably do with alpha planes in Maya.

Here are some pics showing small adjustments on his lower body (legs, feet, loincloth).

hemansculptfullfront01.jpg

hemansculptfullright01.jpg

hemansculptfullback01.jpg
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

some major updates (mainly on his face and proportions).

hemanheadfront01.jpg

hemanheadperspfr01.jpg

hemanheadright01.jpg

hemanheadperspbr01.jpg

hemanheadback01.jpg

hemanfullfront01.jpg

hemanfullperspfr01.jpg

hemanfullright01.jpg

hemanfullperspbr01.jpg

hemanfullback01.jpg

Please don't mind the feet now. Since they're covered, I barely touched them.
    hemanbodyfront01.jpg

hemanbodyperspfr01.jpg

hemanbodyright01.jpg

hemanbodyperspbr01.jpg

hemanbodyback01.jpg

Further crits & comments are welcome ...

And one little poll:

Who else is for the traditional He-Man hair-style?

BTW, sorry for the double-post.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I vote for longer hair as well! :D

You don't necessarily have to make it uber-gay though... I'd go for something like this:
    http://www.nostalgiaholic.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/390px-masters_of_the_universe.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    These proportions are strange, as if some body parts have different scales than others. It's never too late to go back and fix stuff!
    Good luck!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta have the Pageboy. He-Man can't be "A Child's Primer to Gay Pride" without it!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i vote for this:
    page-boy.jpg
    or it was never he-man.

you could also do this:
    conan.jpg
    Conan_the_Barbarian_by_JoeJusko.jpg
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to touch up some anatomy issues. You can look at bodybuilder pictures online to look at muscle insertion points and shapes for these freakishly huge guys. There are the proportion issues too as pior and John have said. I think you need to address those things first before you do anything else. Good luck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks so bad ass, I love it.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, there.

Thanks for the c&c so far.

You guys really know how to motivate me over and over again.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on the model, but here are some new proportion-updates on his body and head.

I'm also working on another design at the moment, since so many (also on other forums) where not that happy with it.

hemanbodyfront01.jpg

hemanbodyperspfr01.jpg

hemanbodyright01.jpg

hemanbodyperspbr01f.jpg

hemanheadfront01.jpg

hemanheadperspfr01.jpg

hemanheadright01.jpg

hemanheadback01.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe gotta love the 80's!

The sartorius muscle is missing or very muddy...it attaches on the pelvis bone and ends under the knee. Its an important landmark that "breaks" the form between the adductor muscles and the front muscles of the upper leg (vastus lateralis / medialis / intermedius). Most of it will be covered but its still visible.

The angle of the jaw looks a bit extreme, i would bring the back down a bit. The back of the zygomatic bone (cheek bone if you prefer) is going upwards while it should be straighter and more in line with the ear hole, if you feel your own face you'll see what i mean.

Keep going!
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    Hehe gotta love the 80's!

The sartorius muscle is missing or very muddy...it attaches on the pelvis bone and ends under the knee. Its an important landmark that "breaks" the form between the adductor muscles and the front muscles of the upper leg (vastus lateralis / medialis / intermedius). Most of it will be covered but its still visible.

The angle of the jaw looks a bit extreme, i would bring the back down a bit. The back of the zygomatic bone (cheek bone if you prefer) is going upwards while it should be straighter and more in line with the ear hole, if you feel your own face you'll see what i mean.

Keep going!

Made a quick update of his cheek bone and added a 'hint' of the sartorius muscle.

Thank you ...

hemanheadright02.jpg

hemanbodyperspfl01.jpg
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Not a big fan usually of muscle-bound hero's - but since this is He-man; break out the long hair man! We need locks!
  • MontyBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great!

He does need longer hair, without it he looks more like an 80's commando style action hero.

Also your character model has a realistic level of detail, while his gear looks kind of plastic.

Great work.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

a small Update.

Armor and weapons haven't been sculpted yet only blocked out. Will do it later (am pretty busy at the moment).

hemanfull01.jpg

hemanfull02.jpg

hemanfull03.jpg

hemanfull04.jpg

hemanfull05.jpg

hemanfull06.jpg

hemanfull07.jpg

hemanfull08.jpg

hemanface01.jpg

hemanface02.jpg

hemanface03.jpg

... I only fooled around at the following picture ...

hemantexturetest01.jpg

Cya,

Atilla
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    agreed- I mean, his other identity is "prince adam". no sesne in trying to mix him with a UFC edge. Long hair is part of the formula towards nailing the likeness.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man everyone wants the long hair, but personally i kind of like the clean cut barbarian look, makes him look more serious and princely imo.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see about the hair.
    But in general, the majority (also on other forums) wants to see the traditional bob cut. To be honest, I don't know yet with what I'm going for. But definately a notch longer than in the preview.
    At the moment I wanna concentrate on sculpting though (armor, weapons - still need to be done). Then I'm gonna retopologize the character, uv layout, give him some flat colors (to see in what direction I wanna go as far as the colors are concerned) and then I'm planning to do the hair (with alpha planes), before I start the 'real' texturing phase.

All in all it would take me another week to finish the char. But at the moment I'm pretty occupied and hope to finalize him at least in this month.
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking how this is coming on. Looking forward to the final result!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    The long blond hair makes him he-man. without it I only see some generic barbarian warrior, sorry.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be sorry, man. He was never supposed to have short hair as you see it in the sculpt now. My thought in first place to sculpt that hair was/is that if I had alpha planes later and you could see through 'em that you'd have some 'sculpt and texture information'.

As some said before, He-Man wouldn't be He-Man without the long hair. The only question so far was, if I should make his traditional (bob-cut) hair-style or come up with something different (still long though).
  • dur23
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    My only issue so far with this is the placement of the axe. Imagine running with an axe 'that' size strapped like that to your quad. Flopping all around cuttin your shit up.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, time for some last c&c's before I start with the retopology for this bad-boy.

In the meantime I'm gonna sculpt his sword.

Thanks again for the feedback so far ...
    heman01.jpg

heman06.jpg

heman05.jpg

heman04.jpg

heman03.jpg

hemancloseup0101.jpg

hemancloseup0107.jpg

hemancloseup0106.jpg

hemancloseup0105.jpg

hemancloseup0103.jpg

hemancloseup0102.jpg

hemancloseup0201.jpg

hemancloseup0208.jpg

hemancloseup0207.jpg

hemancloseup0205.jpg

hemancloseup0204.jpg

Atilla
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This scuplt rocks!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    The veins on the back of the thie... i think u should get rid of them.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by the power of greyskull this is good work.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Wooow I love the fur on the boots. I love everything else about him too but the fur is kick ass :)
  • throttlekitty
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    Wooow I love the fur on the boots. I love everything else about him too but the fur is kick ass :)

Really??? 'Cause I consider to cover them up with some alpha-planes ...

Small Update: This is how his sword is gonna look like ...

sword01.jpg
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    sword is awesome. his fanny pack is not
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You really gotta get some hair on that dude.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hair is gonna come, dude!

After the retopology it's gonna be the first I'll head up to next.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 wrote: »
    My only issue so far with this is the placement of the axe. Imagine running with an axe 'that' size strapped like that to your quad. Flopping all around cuttin your shit up.

Unfortunately the axe couldn't make it in the final design anyway (due to lack of time), but hey at least I have one more thing to worry less about. But in general you were right about the placement of the axe.

A small update on the retopology ...
    hemanretopo01.jpghemanretopo02.jpghemanretopo03.jpg

... guess I'm gonna be done with the retopo somewhen about today or tomorrow.

Sorry for the double-post ...
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about the fur? My guess would be lots of patience, but I figure it's worth asking in case there's a trick I'm missing
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, OrganizedChaos you guessed right!!!

No, tbh the fur didn't actually take too long.
    Not even an hour for each (loincloth, boot/s).

And there was definately no trick in that.

I'll post a quick tutorial on that a little later, 'kay?

Besides, there is definately a much better way to really sculpt fur and such.
    But since I'm gonna go with alpha planes later anyway, I only needed that sculpt-information on the fur and hair as kind of a background, in case if I could see through the alpha planes from certain angles (hope that was kinda graspable).
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Cool work!! nicely executed warrior there.

but something about the cheekbones bugs me....maybe try laying more fat where the cheecks are and less under the eyes, usually its bare bones under that area.
    I do like what youve done with the fur effect.

cheers
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    The veins on the back of the thie... i think u should get rid of them.

agree with this ^. also you may want to consider running over the skin with a smooth brush - it looks like someone ran over the skin with a rake (albeit very faintly) this could be due to the pic, but just a suggestion...

with that being said.. its really badass.
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo wrote: »
    Cool work!! nicely executed warrior there.

but something about the cheekbones bugs me....maybe try laying more fat where the cheecks are and less under the eyes, usually its bare bones under that area.
    I do like what youve done with the fur effect.

cheers

I did at a very first stage, before I've started with that post and a very respectful artist and friend of mine told me that the cheekbones don't overtower the eyes when you look at it from the side-view.
    So I pushed the cheekbones back in the same line with the eyes.
    Cyrael wrote: »
    agree with this ^. also you may want to consider running over the skin with a smooth brush - it looks like someone ran over the skin with a rake (albeit very faintly) this could be due to the pic, but just a suggestion...

with that being said.. its really badass.

No, you're right it wasn't due to the pic. That 'rake-effect' came up through sculpting with the claytube-brush but I've got rid of it already with the smooth-brush but didn't take any screenshots to show you guys. but thanks for noticing it though.

about the veins, I like 'em! besides, the veins in general ain't that hard to notice, once I use another shader ...