Home Technical Talk

How did you get started with ZBrush ?

Well it seems from looking around, you wont get nowhere without including ZBrush in your pipeline.

I started it up and tried to just get stuck in, like i did with Photoshop and 3DS.

Trouble is, Everything works differently to what im used to...The Menus are different, the way navigation works etc.

So my question is, how did you start with Zbrush ? what did you learn first ?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would recommend to NOT get too caught in online tutorials or manuals, are these get convoluted VERY fast.

I leart the app by following the Angler Fish video. I think it was back in ZB2. It covered all the basics and this should get you started easily. Good luck!
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    For me I read Scott Scencer's Character Creation book. But before that I followed the zbrush classroom on pixologic.com
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Scott Spencer's book got me started, too. Got it about six weeks before I bought ZBrush itself, played with the 30 day demo for a bit, then spent two weeks in ZBrush Withdrawal until I actually got the check that let me get it. :P
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, and how did you go about learning it ? like what things did you do first/what were the easy things to get a hold of ?

:D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh...

Just sculpt
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try, but everything i make ends up a bloated elephant man.

And all the settings arent right, And i dont know how to do them or what the names are :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then just ask yourself why ...

You don't have to use the standard brush at high settings all the time. Maybe grab a piece of real clay and play with it. You'll soon realize that most of the time you are not adding clay, but naturally, you are mostly pushing and pulling things. So do just that in Z : push and pull things using the Move brush. As far as I know there is no anti-elephant-man settings that I know of :)

You asked about learning the program, but I think you meant learning how to sculpt? It just takes time.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    make a box, subdivide the hell of it and experiment with it just trying to create specific looks :)...

I do something similar when i get a new drawing medium, and i want to see what i can do with it.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just find the whole navigation system abit awkward, but i guess i gotta get used to it.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    If you're using Zbrush 3 (which hopefully you are), Meats Meier put his Gnomon instructional DVD, Introduction to ZBrush 3, up on his site and on Vimeo in HD for free. Very clear explanations, and a good starting point.

http://www.3dartspace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=304
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link, will most definately check that out !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh so yeah if you are talking about navigation issues and general awkwardness, then yeah there is stuff to learn. (I thought you meant you were looking for an instant 'make cool sculpt button')
    One thing I would recommend is to take notes (paper or digital) of every awkward thing you come across. Navigation, masking, hiding ... they all rely on rather weird key combos that you will be likely to forget from one session to another. Taking notes really helps on that.

Good luck!!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Also, I keep a cheatsheet of ZBrush keyboard shortcuts in my live bookmarks in Firefox for easy reference. Saves loads of time.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/ZBrush_3_Shortcuts
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I have some questions if that ok.

What are the most common brushes used for creating form and what are for creating details?

There's so many its difficult to know which to use some are so similar as to appear redundant.

How do you cope with the rotation and scaling shortcuts, and the shift rotation, its so easy to end up rotated upside down and any way but the way you wanted it to?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I mainly use the ClayTubes brush for adding/removing larger forms, since it's fast and kinda fun, and feels more natural to me than the Standard brush. I know a lot of people on ZBrushcentral use the "Rake" tool but I never got the hang of it. Flatten and Smooth brushes for ... flattening and smoothing forms, heh.

I use Standard and Inflat brushes for detailing things (cut in with Standard, use Inflat to fill in the shape) and various alphas & lazy mouse for more generic surface detail.

I don't really have a problem with the navigation, now and then if you're not paying attention when hitting Shift then you will end up with your model snapped 90 degrees off the angle you were expecting, but it's easy to fix and you soon get used to knowing when it's going to snap in each direction.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I usually end up snapping the thing all over the place, also with alt scaling it ends up jumping too far away. I guess you have to be more refined/careful with using the keyboard shortcuts.

The flatten brush appears a bit confusing at times its hard to tell where its flattening from and getting it to flatten how you want.

Thanks for info.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, definitely learn the interface first. You really only need to know about a small part of it for general sculpting though. The rest of it will come with time and experience.

I use pretty much the same brushes as MOP mentioned. I may use the pinch brush with lazy mouse turned on just to tighten up some forms and edges.

You need to learn the feel of each of these brushes and know what to expect from them before you even lay down your strokes. If your meshes are ending up a blobby mess then turn down the brush intensity until it gets to be more manageable level. Slowly build up your forms and and try not to lose control of your sculpt by adding unnecessary strokes.

A lot of beginners tend to move up the subdivisions way to quickly. Lay your large forms down at the lower levels and only when you need more detail do hit the subdivide. If you need to refine the larger forms then move back down to the lower levels.

Watch some videos of people modelling in zbrush and you'll learn a lot more than following any tutorial.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it. Practiced. Trial and error a billion times. Oh, and some tutorials.
  • Harryscary276
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was suggested this site

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

and have learned alot since I started to look at it, but don't rely on it 100 percent, you need to play with the program and figure it out on your own, make test models with specific goals to test. The video's on the site pointed me in the right direction but I am learning more from playing with it than anything else
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Irreal wrote: »
    I use pretty much the same brushes as MOP mentioned. I may use the pinch brush with lazy mouse turned on just to tighten up some forms and edges.

Ewww... I used to, too, but it caused more problems with edge flow than it was worth. The dam_standard brush is MUCH better for edges and that.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    dont discount pinch altogether, its great as an "end of the road" type thing where you dont expect to make any other changes
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    One small but very useful tip, switch on "Rotate on Y axis", instead of the default "rotate on all axis". It'll make camera rotation behave much more like it does in other 3d apps (ie, less annoyingly). It's in the sidebar directly to the right of the viewport by default.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One small but very useful tip, switch on "Rotate on Y axis", instead of the default "rotate on all axis". It'll make camera rotation behave much more like it does in other 3d apps (ie, less annoyingly). It's in the sidebar directly to the right of the viewport by default.

That, and also if you are zoomed in to work on small details, click "Local" so that the camera spins around the area you are working on, rather than using the whole model as the pivot. (I thin I got my terminology wrong here, but I hope you get what I mean.)