Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NWS: Scrotum grenade - First model :p crits ?

Replies

• praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baking help-

download xnormal because it's easy to use :)

Load your hi poly mesh into the high detail mesh channel. Choose "average normals" in the dropdown at the end. This may not be necessary but guarantees a smooth finish.

Load your low poly mesh into the low detail channel.

In baking options, select the size of your chosen image, and select normal (and ambient if you want it). Choose a location and name for the output images

Hit generate maps and sit back.

If your low poly has UVs, this should be what gets used. The high poly doesn't even need UVs to work, just the low :) Good luck!

~P~
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    Why are you choosing this as your first game model?

Because it is the best idea ever!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    If that is what your prostate looks like (and I'm referring to the first zbrush pass), I suggest going to the doctor.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    ron_burgundy_scent.jpg

you stay classy polycount
    +1

At least the title is changed, yesterday I was expecting a mace but found a candle melting on two eggs...
  • Bruno Afonseca
    sir, you are a poet.

crits on the model: scrotum isn't veiny like that, the skin is rough all around. one of the testicles should hang lower than the other one, to avoid the 'newton's cradle' effect.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bitmap:
    Didnt use a ref :P didnt fancy looking at balls XD

@Orgoth02
    This isnt my first, read the thread, i did a Mace and box :)

@Dekard
    You have discovered the name for it ! niiice :D

@Beartraps
    Dont forget......BOILING semen.

@LoM Chaos
    Ima try and find some Refs now, but... where do i get a front/side of a nutsack ?

@GCMP
    Ill give that a go thanks.

@Praxedes
    Ill try that when ive doen the high poly metal parts, But if it works, YOUR AMAZING.

@Fonfa
    Ill lower a nad, and give it a more wrinkled effect rather then veiny :)

THANKS ALOT GUYS :D
    Heres some metal High polys :
    handlec.png

Ill start redoing the sack. And what does NWS mean ?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    not work safe I'd assume
    make sure you put in the hair follicles and seam
    PEACE
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    needs more reference......

pigoh1.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sack.jpg
    sack2.png

Sack V2. i like it :)
  • Bjoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    needs more reference......

pigoh1.jpg

Roflroflroflroflroflrofl
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    NWS means "not work safe."

eh, i know its a "scrotum grenade," but i think you're just making it because they are nuts. I intially thought the idea was cool because of the play on the shape, but didnt fully expect it to go such a literal route ;)

I think you could do a bit more creative with it by playing on the shapes & forms instead of literally making a grenades made of testicles. ie, make it a realistic grenade, that has flesh colored paint, and shaped similarly, with a fuzzy collar or somethin. You could then make other similar weapons, develop the concept, and maybe a character, and blammo, a cohesive set of ideas in a full piece.

i guess if you've gone as far as to zbrush it though... there is little hope for ironic art ;)
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They you thought wrong, from the start i literally wanted a pair of explosive nuts.
    What i wanted is a stupid joke :P not a full set of crude references, but i appreciate the input.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Tank Girl called, she wants five hundred boxes, please.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    NWS means "not work safe."

eh, i know its a "scrotum grenade," but i think you're just making it because they are nuts. I intially thought the idea was cool because of the play on the shape, but didnt fully expect it to go such a literal route ;)
    No doubt. Like the hanging grenade bouquet in Fallout3.
    Grenade_Bouquet.png
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    never heard NWS before, i guessed what it was but I have only heard the NSFW not safe for work abrivation. learn something new ever day.

if you want to get better at modeling for a job and get stuff for your folio I think this isnt a very good idea at all. I think its hillarious as a joke model that you should never show on your folio but if you want a job I would suggest not wasting your time on funny things like this untill you land a job and have real free time.

plus it will give you a chance to get better at zBrush so you can get some awesome details in those ballz!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Mime wrote: »
    When i look at it i get the feeling i'm gonna burn my hand if i grab it.

well, having changed the first image in the thread, Mime's reply takes on an interesting twist
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    never heard NWS before, i guessed what it was but I have only heard the NSFW not safe for work abrivation. learn something new ever day.

if you want to get better at modeling for a job and get stuff for your folio I think this isnt a very good idea at all. I think its hillarious as a joke model that you should never show on your folio but if you want a job I would suggest not wasting your time on funny things like this untill you land a job and have real free time.

plus it will give you a chance to get better at zBrush so you can get some awesome details in those ballz!

This is silly, I am more into learning when its fun, Obviously this isnt going into my portfolio, ITS MY THIRD MODEL ! im hardly a hardened veteran, id rather have fun learning the basics, before being serious on my portfolio work.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha now guys i got a problem, i used xnormal to make these normal maps, but obviously there is some issues with it, any ideas ?

normallssssnormals.jpg

And heres a shot of them both in max :)
    unfinsihed.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    when you're baking thing like this, make sure you *explode* them.

it looks like there's part of the pin ring being baked onto the testes now. probably because the ring falls inside of the testes' cage. to solve this problem, move the ring about a nutsac-width away from the grenade. same for the stuff up top.

btw, i think you could simplify or optimize the low a bit more, no real need for the pin to be there, and the indent on the handle-thing.

maybe widen the chamfers a bit too, right now they have pretty much no effect on silhouette and the polies would be better off on the bottom where the nuts seem a bit angular.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Autocon wrote: »

I partially agree with you, but your first models are gonna be crap anyway, something that you'll never show to anyone besides your mom.

And I think he chose a good model to practice his skills. Has both organic and geometric parts, glossy and dull, normal maps, alpha maps,

I think you should coat that grenade with gold, call it "the awesomeness award" and give it to yourself. You are a true artist.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    you should make it so that they seperate, to throw seperately. the second one thrown should be stronger, cause lets be honest, if you only have one nut, you`re gonna be more pissed off
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    when you're baking thing like this, make sure you *explode* them.

it looks like there's part of the pin ring being baked onto the testes now. probably because the ring falls inside of the testes' cage. to solve this problem, move the ring about a nutsac-width away from the grenade. same for the stuff up top.

btw, i think you could simplify or optimize the low a bit more, no real need for the pin to be there, and the indent on the handle-thing.

maybe widen the chamfers a bit too, right now they have pretty much no effect on silhouette and the polies would be better off on the bottom where the nuts seem a bit angular.

Erm.. so basically do each section seperately i xNormal, then compile the maps in Photoshop?
    And The Pin does ned to be there, otherwise the ring would need to be moved, then the shape would be messed.

I do agree on the other options though, widenning the chamfers and adding polys to the nutsack :)

and thanks guys :) gunna work on the diffuse tonight, then fix the normals.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you don't have to do them seperately, what he means is any bits of seperate geometry, move them apart when you bake it so things dont get muddled when it bakes. if one piece of geom is too close to another you sometimes end up with rays which should hit geometry part A hitting part B, and you get shading errors. that make sense?

you can bake using a model with all its seperate parts moved away from each other, and then just apply the maps to the original model with same UVs
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    @LoM Chaos
    Ima try and find some Refs now, but... where do i get a front/side of a nutsack ?

Look down.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard wrote: »
    Look down.

Mirror.

Besides that lmao, and this thread is pure win!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Look down.
    Funny guy -.-
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wonder if the UVs are all okay- the handle looks wierd on the bake. I would either bake each piece out and compile in photoshop or separate them in 3D space as susggested (don't forget to move the high poly to match :) and also check the UVs to ensure no overlapping ones

~P~
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    this looks fun :) maybe add a string around the top (where it is attached to the metal part) to tie the balls to the metal part so that it looks more gross and also more "realistic" ;).
    But your normals and highpoly etc. look good for a first try! and I like your set of mind: making something that's fun because it's not going to matter for your portfolio anyway.
    keep it up! looking forward to more!
  • McMonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it wrong that I've stayed in this thread looking for far too long?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    where are the updates :O.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, ive come to a stand still :c, UVW unwrapping is doing my head in.

And good tutorials or helpfull tips ? im trying to make the most of my space, But its annoying switching between UVS of each object.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    ROTFLMFAO Testicle Grenade FTW

Cum here and say that punk! :P
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, im leaving the normals how i have them, and will be less leniant on my next modelling attempt.

Now onto diffuse and SPEC.

How do specs work ? cause when i use them, they never really seem to do anthing.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rofl, you realise you're gonna be painting pretty much skin tone and viens for balls?
    Now imagine if somone walks into your room.

And how can a spec NOT work? ;P
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    Rofl, you realise you're gonna be painting pretty much skin tone and viens for balls?
    Now imagine if somone walks into your room.

And how can a spec NOT work? ;P

My mom came in and just stared at me, then walked out lololol.

And well, when i apply spec, it doesnt seem to have much effect, I place an omni down, and have my model with and without spec, And it just looks shit.

Is there a particular way to make it ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you rendering the image, in the viewport using a hardware shader or using an offline render like mental ray?
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    How are you rendering the image, in the viewport using a hardware shader or using an offline render like mental ray?

Tryed viewport and marmoset.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cban.jpg

Gave up with this, sorry to the guys expecting more :C
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad for a first or second attempt.

The texture came off a bit more like yam ... and yea time to get back to work on something serious =P
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Gotta say Vig...you know ur vegetables!