Home Technical Talk

Low-poly/general modeling questions

Hey all,

I've been chugging along on Maya and found many tutorials on everything, except I've seen maybe 1 tutorial ever on making a low poly model and he built it primarily with NEX Tools and I was wondering how any of you (MAX or Maya) build your low polys? Is there a free tool that does the same thing as NEX?

Another thing has been Normals, I've been using ZBrush's ProjectAll to project onto my low (which I know maybe a bad thing), I know Transfer Maps in Maya and XNormal and Crazybump and I'm just curious which of these would be the best method to use (well best results vs. fastest results).

Also, about using 3DS Max, I want to learn both, but is either one really require that you use it at most studios (especially smaller ones)? I've been hearing good things about modo (plus its cheaper than 3ds or Maya) and wonder if theres any downsides to using it for modeling/texturing (like the lack of a ActorX plugin for Unreal)

In addition, are there any tools/neat tricks not immediately on the geometry palette (ugh Non-Linear workflow) that I should have stuffed in my Shelf? At the moment its...
  • All 6 Non-Linear Deformers: Bend, Sine, Twist, Wave, Sqaush, Flare
  • Show/Hide commands, Center Pivot, Delete History, Transfer Maps
  • CV Curve, Nurbs Circle, Nurbs Extrude (I use them to make wires/cables/ropes if you change output to Polygons)
  • Attach to Motion Path, Animation Snapshot (create lines of objects like bolts along a surface)
  • Wire Tool, Cluster Tool (making cloth)
  • Hotbox for everything else
Any help would take some worries off my mind!

Replies

• Emiraly
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The software or the modeling method itself really aren't important. Just make your work look awesome. If your art was impressive, I would hire you, no matter what software you used to make the art. It is relatively easy to teach someone to use the studio's preferred modeling package.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second that, don't concern yourself with which software to learn. Max or Maya would be a good choice since the majority of studios use them, although as was said already, it wouldn't take long to transfer your skills from one package to another.

With regards to the normal map creation methods, in my opinion, I'd suggest you learn to do it within your 3D package first since you usually get a more hands on experience with how the rays are being cast and how you might need to alter your models to achieve better results. xNormal does produce incredible results providing your meshes are built to work well together, and even when they're not you can usually get away with some pretty nice results. Eat3D cover Max's Render to Texture feature in their Old Damaged Pillar trianing which should give you a good idea of how to get a nice bake from Max.

And as for the question on what you should have on your shelf in Maya, it's completely up to you, whichever tools you use the most. Obviously Center Pivot, Delete History, Freeze Transformations are great to have on there, but I wouldn't worry so much about the deformers, or the NURBS stuff.