Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Exodus : Game Wizards Project

Here are some WIP of a the latest Game Wizards project. Game Wizards is a class I run over at the Art Institute of Los Angeles....the students in the class are getting a degree in Game Art & Design. This is our latest game made in Unreal...Exodus...we still have another 6months of dev left.

The below shots were done by a team of about 6 students. Enjoy:)

We are really trying to get good and gear up for the next Unearthly Challenge. My students placed 3rd in the last one and 2nd in the Make a Scene from a Movie competion.

ScreenShot_Sewer_1_web.jpg

ScreenShot_Sewer_2_web.jpg

ScreenShot_Sewer_3_web.jpg

ScreenShot_Sewer_4_web.jpg

ScreenShot_Sewer_5_web.jpg

ScreenShot_Sewer_6_web.jpg

blockout and ref

BlockOutShot.jpg

SewerReference.jpg

one of the assets:)

rockpileweb.jpg

:)

GameWizards_galaga.jpg

Nick

www.cgartist.tv

Replies

• achillesian
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Red looks a little bit to strong. Looks nice though.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    I feel cheated attending my Art Institute. I'm not gonna name names...but there was nobody there creating stuff anywhere CLOSE to this. Please tell me AiLA charges double the rest of the institutes.
  • kies.matt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII wrote: »
    I feel cheated attending my Art Institute. I'm not gonna name names...but there was nobody there creating stuff anywhere CLOSE to this. Please tell me AiLA charges double the rest of the institutes.

lol
    I started at Ai-SF and now im finishing up at Ai-SD and as far as I know, neither one of them enter the Unearthly Challenge or anything either

so dont feel left out
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    TychoVII wrote: »

this. good to hear they're actually teaching things now
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    kies.matt wrote: »
    lol
    I started at Ai-SF and now im finishing up at Ai-SD and as far as I know, neither one of them enter the Unearthly Challenge or anything either

so dont feel left out

You shouldn't wait for someone to force or tell you to enter a competition...You should have a personal drive and need to enter these challenges or constantly work on your portfolio.

--
    professorXXX, dude that looks really cool since the last time i saw it. I just finished playing Arkham Asylum and I feel like that scene would fit perfectly into it.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive comments about the work:)

Well...I am the Academic Director for the Los Angeles campus:) I used to be the main demo teacher...students would have me for the last year of there life. I was the one that got their portfolio's up to snuff.

The Los Angeles program is the biggest ( over 270 students ) and the one of the oldest in the AI system. I have been here for about 6 years and can vouch for how strong our program is. We have graduates on everything from Call of Duty to GOD of War to World of War Craft. I do my best to prepare the students as best I can.

For instance...I do the artwork along side of them. The rocks image...is my piece actually. I did a few of the assets in the scene to try and show students the level of quality they need to reach with their own work.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    kies.matt wrote: »
    lol

so dont feel left out

I guess you dont pay attention very much if you go to AI-SD with the Unearthly Challenge Class and Sony Online Mentorship program which is very much like this project.

--

Your students have done some great work, agree with the red being a bit to strong. But overall looking great.
  • kies.matt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I guess you dont pay attention very much if you go to AI-SD with the Unearthly Challenge Class and Sony Online Mentorship program which is very much like this project.

--

Your students have done some great work, agree with the red being a bit to strong. But overall looking great.

i know about the sony mentorship, but i was talking about the unearthly challenge

i hadnt heard anything about it from the students or faculty so i figured we didnt participate in it

probably should have asked though

im not dissing the school or anything, i love it here
    i was just trying to make TychoVII feel better about not having any programs available at the Ai he attended
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »

QFT
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone is free to enter unearthly...you don't need school to sponsor you:)

Although I make it mandatory for all my demo students who want to be environment artists:) How do you know how good you are if you aren't competing against the best!
  • kies.matt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 wrote: »
    You shouldn't wait for someone to force or tell you to enter a competition...You should have a personal drive and need to enter these challenges or constantly work on your portfolio.

--
    professorXXX, dude that looks really cool since the last time i saw it. I just finished playing Arkham Asylum and I feel like that scene would fit perfectly into it.

i didnt say that i wanted the school to force me or that i didnt have the drive to do it on my own

i was just saying that as far as i knew, that our school didnt have a group program for the challenge

i have however been corrected and now know that we do participate
    thanks to Autocon
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! should be starting soon! It got postponed again till Oct 2nd. I can't wait to see what SD campus does. Christian Bradley ( you guys Academic Director ) was actually my mentor years back. He is awesome. He taught me to texture.

I got an invite for you if you want it. We are on break this next week and are doing Unearthly Challenge workshops all break. From 10AM till 5PM. We are working trying to learn the new zbrush and get our concept skills better. Since you are in San Diego you are more than welcome to come down and hang out. I think you guys are on the same break system we are on.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    How do you know how good you are if you aren't competing against the best!

This is something that I think should be pushed on most students, well said professorXXX.

Thats pretty sweet you guys are doing some Zbrush workshops over the break preping for it, great idea. Hope it dosnt get delayed anymore though ><

@kies.matt the class Advanced Game Modeling and Texturing is a class that dose what the Unearthly Challenge dose over a qrter but like proX said Unearthly Challange is something that is free for all to enter and sponsoership isnt need.

Cant wait to see what your students do over the next 6 months of development of this project :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, your students are kickin some ass.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    congrats to those 6 guys and you Nick...this looks great.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you got pro's like this competing in UC, feels kida silly to enter. :)

Nice work.

As for UC, I am annoyed at the constant delays, because if I had time to work on it before, I certainly won't have time in October. Midterms and all that, plus assignments every week I spend several hours on...yeah...:(
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Really reaaallly refreshing to know that a teacher actually continues to push his own skillsets as well as his students, this is something we lack to an extent in our course, and seeing what you're students have done really illustrates the fact that having a teacher who "knows his shit" is invaluable.

Well done!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    professorxxx thank you for sharing, but(!) It's very hard to offer criticism when the shots are straight from unreal and only 1 in-game mesh is shown.

Can you break this shot down for everyone so we can offer some better critiques and not just praise? Wire shots, texture examples, lighting examples, etc. etc. It may even be best if your students captured and posted those examples themselves.

My immediate critique is while it may be damp and wet down there, the bloom and fog is a bit too much, and really feels like it was done in Unreal. One fun thing I like to do when using Unreal is try and get away with stuff that doesn't feel like it was done using that technology, as so many shots taken from within it do these days.

Thanks again for sharing, I'd just like to see more!

EDIT: Can you get me the team name of your 6 students who worked on this? I'll throw it up in our banner rotation.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks really neat but I'm with adam on this one. I'd really like to see some wires and break downs. BTW, did you guys use BSP or this 100% StaticMeshes?
  • Explosivo!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd really like to see some more. You get a real sense of yucky-ness from those screenshots.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    This is some awesome work. I wish we had a proper art school here (in english) so I could work in programs like this. But I'm too old to go back to school now anyway and there are no good schools here (Bulgaria) so I'll just sit back and watch how your students do.

I prefer character modeling but I do love seeing a solid enviro piece. Good luck in unearthly guys.