Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Atlantean Sea Beast

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Same as my "wandering mechanic" concept i just did, i'm trying to get feedback on these concepts before i start. since i'm currently without zbrush, just going for as much feedback as i can get before i start modeling them. (once i went zsphere, apparently i only want to start with sculpts)

seacreature2.jpg

it's pretty rough, but the concept is there. for some reason, this guy was giving me a lot of grief. i just could NOT think of an aquatic creature i was happy with, but i'm pretty happy with this guy. let me know

edit:
UPDATE:
October 7
Sorry for delay, been away for a bit, but i thought i'd give this a go. So the updated concept is that this is an underwater mount, and i'm going for the polycount you might expect from a Warcraft model.

It is not complete, and i have to strip down a few polies then drop the rest to triangles. you will also notice that i did not do the top (what is turquoise in the concept), but i drew a red line to represent it. any feedback is great
sc1wq.jpgsc2r.jpgsc3.jpgscmesh.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    how big is it supposed to be? It looks a little "frail" like a sardine. I imagine a sea beast would be thicker, more buff. Or if it was a fast killer more streamlined, like a sailfish
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminds me of a pokemon i think 0.o

but i agree, it looks like it needs to have a bit more flesh on it's bones to push it and make it look more terrifying!
  • kies.matt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he definitely does look frail
    i think his body tapers too much, too close to his head
    maybe if you gave his body some more girth and tapered it closer to the tail
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya that blows. one of the core features i wanted to maintain for my creature was a really skinny tail. before this tail, it was a bit longer and even skinnier :D. how might i make it feel bigger without changing the proportions all too much?

by the way, the scale is that it would be something you could ride. if you sat above the big turquoise circle...thereabouts.

do you think the size could be something that is maybe adjustable by details? if i put in a lot more detail, that tends to make things look larger, no?

i'll look at some whales to note some features that make them feel larger. thanks for pointing out the issue
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i think if you made it look armored you could make it skinnier, like a scorpion fish or something like that
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    content bump: first update