Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underground German Hospital

What's up guys!

This is an environment I did for my portfolio- I am still looking for work.
Please feel free to give constructive criticism if needed.

This is an Underground german hospital that was abondoned during WWII after it was bombed by the United States. This place had a lot of tunnels and rooms for injured soldiers to heal up.

I need the green light to polish it up in photoshop and post it on my website with the props that I will link to this thread later and then start applying again.

Thanks again.

MarkAbadier1.jpg
MarkAbadier2.jpg
MarkAbadier3.jpg
MarkAbadier4.jpg
MarkAbadier5.jpg

Replies

• spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Hey cool scene. One big critique I have would be how you lit it, right now everything's just in shade, and my eyes are brought to the pillow, and everything else just blends into each other. Maybe having some ambient occlusion may help get a little more POP with you props. But i like the texture work, and layout, nice and cluttered.

Id say the floor texture seems out of place, cant really make out what it is, and it doesn't follow along with the stories your telling with your props(as in your props and floor have no connection as far as grit, stains, damage ect.).

I like :). Suggestions for the future...blood stained bandages, torn up Nazi outfits and stuff like that. Because right now if you got rid of that medical banner, there's nothing telling you that its a hospital.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good, but for some reason I dont get underground at all. It appears and feels like an attic. Not sure what you could do to change that, perhaps remove the light beam and put in a old light bulb or something.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Spahr: thanks for taking the time to help me out. I agree on the AO, it didn't look right in certain areas in max but it might be different in unreal. Bed with the banner is the focal point, as for the floor, I had to tile it, it is concrete. I will change it up and dirty it up with different decals and depending on the responses I get I will see about the bloody bandages (good idea btw). To be honest I was hesitant about adding Nazi symbols in my scene, got worried someone might get offended. Thanks!
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Anime: the room looks like that actually in real life, I intended it to only get cracked from the cieling with minimum damage, because as you know underground means dirt which means that absorbed most of the damage, and the rest of it got chipped off by the gate which is why it has that much lighting inside. If others agree on that I might close up the back and add light bulbs, I didn't want to do it in the room because it will flatten out everything and make it look boring (I did add light bulbs on the cieling, you can see them in some of the screen shots.) Thanks again.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well maybe some more defined piles of dirt under the crack and a few plants maybe hanging down from the hole in the ceiling would go along way to make it feel more underground. Just a suggestion, because it just feels like a dusty attic
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    You have some good looking assets and nice atmosphere. However, the scene feels too chaotic and random without a story to support it. It might help to think about what was happening the last time humans were in the place.

If the doctors ran away, did they try to take everything they could carry with them? A trail of bandages, syringes and pill bottles could lead out the door. Drawers could still hang open from the cabinets with stuff spilling out of them.

Maybe the staff was executed? Blood stains, a smeared hand print, broken eyeglasses, a nurse's shoe...

Did a bomb actually hit here? Everything could be shattered, charred and chipped. Rebar could poke in from the ceiling. And that bottle would definitely not be standing there intact. :)

If it has been abandoned for a long time, then maybe a forest above ground has started to reclaim the space. Like AnimeAngel suggested, maybe plants hang down from the ceiling. Plants and fungus have started to grow on everything like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slaterspeed/2556131046/sizes/l/

If you do want to keep the random, chaotic look then you need to at least push it more with A LOT more junk on the ground. Layers and layers of paper, debris and stuff on top of each other. I would also cluster things more instead of evenly spacing the pieces from each other.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup Dlx: Thanks for your response. You are right in what you said, but it is easier said than done. Cluttering it more and more and putting more "smaller" props in there that might not even be seen can become a waste of time, unless its an actual level. Same thing with the cieling reebar, its dark to see anything. But I will consider everything you said offcourse. I have been staring at it for a while so when I go back I will re-do things to the better with your awesome suggestions, thanks again!
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    I see you got those dynamic shadows working :D. Looking good. One critique I have is about the lighting. It seems like the only thing getting the "spotlight" right now is the end of the bed with the pillow. Everything else just kid of fades out and you really don't get to see all the detail on your other assets. A secondary light source would probably help out with this. Anyway, just my two cents. Keep it up!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its kind of a crude paint over, but I think it might help illustrate some points.
    I feel like the modeling and texture work on this is pretty solid. It might help to refine some things here and there, like the wooden drawers could use more grundge to help match the rest of the scene, but thats a knit pick.

Id say the number one thing that would really help sell this scene is a slightly furthered understanding of how light works. Right now you have 1 major light source, and a secondary (the door). Whats important to take notice of, is when you have a bright light cast into a dark space, the space will light up like crazy via bounce light. Right now you have the one light source coming in from the ceiling. Where ever it hits, - (based on the surfaces which it hits), turns into a new light source, which then bounces lights in other directions. You don't even need to use any fancy software/rendering to achieve this, you can simply drop in some new lights that simulate some bounces. The human eye isn't as critical of bounce light accuracy as it is something like, proportion ratios on a human face.

the door way could be another light- but it might be cool to take it one step further than whats in my paint over, and make it a cool light. So you have the warm light coming in from the top, then a cool light coming in from the side. I feel like that will make your scene pop like crazy
    paintover.jpg
    The bright thing on the floor is supposed to be a reflection of the hole in the ceiling. All specular highlights are really just a reflection of the light in the surrounding area. (but the way I painted it, its way too bright for a dirty mud floor, probably in the wrong spot, and fights with the paper,- so its not a very good example of this)

:also it might be worth saying that the scene seems very dark. there is a small pool of light around the bed, then the rest of ths scene seems to be ambiently lit, which causes you to loose all kinds of cool information on you assets, textures etc. Its such an extreme darkness that I feel like my monitor might be set wrong. Is anyone else seeing that?
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P.: Hey man, ya I am glad your support helped me get this far lol.
    Konstruct: yo! WOW you definately know how to give a good critique haha. I agree with you, when I am sitting down monitor DOES darken the image especially on an LCD or plasma which is why I stand up. I agree and few of my friends told me my lighting isn't giving my props justice.

One thing about me is I focus 2 much on how close I can get to realistic lighing to the point that its all subtle and you won't see it in the renders but you notice it if you are running around. I definately agree with you, one thing I learned in 3D is over exaggerate lighting/ other things to pop it out more. That lighting that I did ended up like that because I am afraid the shadows will end up getting washed out, but I know what I need to do- simply bump up the brightness intensity on the bounce lights and offcourse do the drawer and balance between high intensity lighting and color of the prop. Thanks again man I always know I can count on polycount :)

I need to still add AO maps. here is some screengrabs from the mesh viewer in unreal, enjoy!

MarkAbadier_prop.jpg