Home Technical Talk

suggest high poly software?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mauser polycounter lvl 10
I'm pretty much done learning with max and want to move onto something that is more made for high poly modeling (not like zbrush tho) I'm kind of confused on what to choose tho. I've heard modo, maya, and many different tools. so could you guys give some pro/con list maybe? thanks

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Your question confuses me.

You say you're "done learning with max". Did you know that it's one of the most respected and efficient hard surface highpoly modelling packages being used in the games industry?

You know that Epic used Max for all their highpoly stuff on Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 along with ZBrush, yeah? Isn't that an indication that it's a good piece of software to do highpoly work in?

Why are you asking about Modo and Maya when you don't even seem to know much about Max?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, are you saying that you think max isn't as good for high poly work as some of the others listed? Many would disagree.

Perhaps if you could give a couple reasons why you want to leave max, people could suggest other programs that are better at those issues.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Max + Graphite Modeling Tools (in 2010) or Polyboost (2009 and below) is pretty powerful for high poly modeling.

What exactly do you think these other pieces of software have to offer?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yo I completed the piano the other day
    what type of HP modelling are you doing, hard surface or organic/justnothard?
  • Mauser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauser polycounter lvl 10
    whoa, didn't mean to tick people off. I meant that I'm done learning with max for the time being. I'm still young and don't want to be hooked on max forever, So i'm expanding my horizons. I know high poly is very possible in max, but it doesn't seem to specialize in it. I just want some more ideas on what to start learn next.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's 2 types of "high poy" apps. Sculpting (aka Zbrush, mudbox, 3DCoat). Or doing subdiv in 3DS Max, or maya, or XSI, or modo, or etc... ect...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Dont focus on what apps you want to learn or not learn, focus on what you want to do with them instead!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try anything and everything that you can easily get your hands on(demo, trials). I personally like modo quite a bit because it is a simple, focused modeler. I would give silo and XSI a try too, personally maya would be last on my list as i dont see it as a very good modeling app out of the box(with 1000 plugins you can make it into a modeling app =P), its more of a general workhorse app, similar to max in a way.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Pior nails it. Make some cool stuff, and don't worry about checking various software packages off of some ridiculous "have learned" list. Any decent artist with a production background can pick up and learn a new package in a few weeks or months. But learning how to be a decent production artist can take years of making stuff. Just make stuff. If you're tool won't allow you to do it easily, then worry about switching packages.

I mean, you wouldn't hire a car mechanic because he knows a lot about wrenches, right? You'd hire one because he knows how to actually fix your car.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you are aiming for subdiv work and modelling work in general, then modo.

Max can be a good package, but it's a shit for subdiv work compared to modo, because you can't work smoothly with the subdivision activated. Want more reasons? You can bake and render so fast, and if you want, you can model with a realtime* render with GI.

Just try it, and use what you are more confortable with. Here, Max users will say you "Max" because it's what they use. Don't be stuck with programs, tools are continuosly improving and it's not the same to work with TOOLS than with tools.

*almost realtime ^^
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Almost every package has the same tools (give or take a few) that every package has. The only trick to "learning Maya" or "learning C4D" after you have "learned 3DS Max" is getting used to a new UI, and learning about the cool tricks package A has that Package B doesn't, and how to live without the cool tricks Package B had that Package A doesn't.

FAR more important is learning anatomy and proportion, proper edgeloops for both surface flow and proper bending, and being able to take that concept you have in your head and expressing it somehow. There's a reason it's called game ART and not game SCIENCE - because all of that is an art thing, not something Program A does better than Program B.

Same thing could apply to the sculpting apps. Yes, 3DCoat is "bare bones" compared to the other two, but a skilled artist can still make it sit up and beg. ZBrush and Mudbox have different strengths and weaknesses, and any of the three is valid as long as you have the basics down.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah max is a perfectly fine high poly modeler and if you already know the interface no reason to switch aps unless you can make anything you could imagine in max. well switch aps in the same genre, i would sugest going between a standard modeler, a sculpting prog, i've toyed with the 3 big sculpting progs, and suggest zbrush.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max is amazing for hardsurface highpoly work...amazing.
    Combined with Zbrush and you get awesome results, provided you know what you're doing.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe all you need is this thread:
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    I definitely prefer Max over Maya for modeling, particularly hi res, subD, hard suface modeling. Of course, I basically spent a few years learning and refining my workflow in Max, so that's probably why. That being said, I am interested in checking out Modo, like Blazier said.

The guy next to me at work uses it, and I've seen it in action enough to put "Learning Modo" somewhat high on my list of things to do. In particular, it can handle displaying a lot more polys onscreen, can render the hi res model with GI etc in almost realtime, and you can work directly on the hi res, subdivided model smoothly and in real time.

I just finished a hi res subD vehicle model in Max, and for kicks I gave it to him to bring into Modo to see how well it could handle displaying and interacting with it compared to Max, and it was much faster and smoother. As for our systems, my computer has twice the RAM and processing power, and I think a slightly better video card as well.