Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] Psg1

Hi first post here, Im 16 from Australia and use blender and gimp as my tools.

Here is my latest project, Psg1 rifle, its actually my first gun and I will try to make it as high standard as I can.

Thanks to racer445 for his awesome gun tutorial.

I've started onto the high poly, obviously its no where finished, but if you can I would like your comment and critique please.

19492350.jpg

Thanks

Latest image:

98415241.th.jpg

Replies

• Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty cool for now

:)
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe thanks, hopefully not just for now. :\

Funny, it looks kind of futuristic without the barrel hand guard thing.
    34889719.jpg
    55237626.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty nice, how are you controlling the subd shape above the two screws behind the grip? I am interested in this, wires would be cool :O
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    distinguished , you can pimp it in elysiun.com's forum .
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty nice, how are you controlling the subd shape above the two screws behind the grip? I am interested in this, wires would be cool :O
    Hi, you mean this part?:
    wire1.jpg
    I didnt bother modeling that triangle part into the mesh, didnt think it was worth it. The couple of loops going down the centre seemingly doing nothing are to make holes for the bolts.

@ Belias thanks man, you mean BA? I think I will post there later on.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Exactly what I meant. Thx for sharing.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Built the scope:
    5_14.jpg 6_2.jpg
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more :):
    98415241.th.jpg55708635.th.jpg84059284.th.jpg

edit, oops the scopes subd level isnt up enough in the first picture.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    lookin good!

makes me want to play mgs.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks imb3nt !:)

Ok I think the high poly is done, Im pretty happy with it.

28922132.jpg
    98973543.jpg

31614978.jpg
    65317459.jpg

Now onto the low poly (might be a while yet) What do you people think a reasonable tri count for this sort of gun is? if it was in a modern game like cod4/farcry2 etc
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good man, some really decent highpoly modeling there. I don't know about any CoD polycounts, but when I made a gun last month, I aimed for 5000 tri's with a small SMG. So I guess 8-10.000 max would be a fun ,yet still responsible count to work with?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow that is an impressive highpoly a bit dark/hard to see in these pics though
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks people, sorry about the dark images

Heres low poly, around 7500 triangles (including magazine not pictured). Its not all that great but Im not very good at low poly :\

Ts2ep3A9.jpg Ts2ep8zr.jpgTs2epb3A.jpg Ts2epg2S.jpg

What do you think of this sort of thing below, should I seperate the sections or keep it as one piece and hope the normal map will fix it? How much bad smoothing can the normal map fix?
    Ts2etfZi.jpg

What do you think, cheers.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Those indents aren't adding to the silhouette at all, and they're really screwing up wires and smoothing; I'd just make the lowpoly geometry flat and have them completely normalmapped.
    There's probably more of the same optimizations you can do on your lowpoly, feels a bit heavy in some areas for the small detail you created there.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with Xoliul here.

Also please... please use a few smoothing groups on the receiver...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I would remove them, they are on the stock and never seen in first person anyway, which is where you would get the most detail visible, in any other mode you will never notice the difference...

You have two choices really, remove the indents, or add a slight chamfer.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits:) I have removed some of the details on the stock. Also joined some of the parts that were overlapping over other parts to help with baking and texturing(I hope) plus some other reductions. Triangle count has reduced to around 6500. Still posibly some reductions in more areas.

Now smoothing groups, basicly they just split the mesh into seperate pieces right? Blender doesnt have 'smoothing groups' so we use edgesplit modifier and mark the edges. Ive put some splits in the reciever and other areas, cylinders and such, it does increase the vert count +400.

Since im rather new to this baking I will bake without 'smoothing groups' and another with smoothing groups to see if theres any advantage.

Ts2qDxg9.jpg Ts2qDEKA.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard edges will double the vertex count along those edges.

BUT

If you have hard edges where your uv splits are, they are doubled already, so there is no extra cost in doing this.

Also, when baking normals you must have uv splits where your hard edges are anyway, or else you will get render artifacts on your hard edges(it tries to blend together the two sides on 1 pixels and gets all screwy). So it works out in the end, just make sure to plan your uvs along with your hard edge usage and you will be ok.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does that mean if I dont want a uv seam in a particluar spot I should try to avoid having a hard edge there?

I guess I will start getting this thing more ready for unwrapping now.

Thankyou
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, quite the opposite! If you want a hard edge in a particular spot you need to have a uv seam there! Also hard edges are "free" anywhere you have a uv seam.

Generally this is a pretty straight forward and natural process when you think about it, the areas where you break your uvs tend to be the areas where you would want a hard edge(caps on cylinders, etc)
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thats ounds simple enough

TspGNVr.jpg
    Hopefully the unwrap is ok, probably I can get a higher score on the tetris though, moving some bits into the large gaps.
    Unwrapping is soo time consuming:(
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake: Hard edges don't necessarily double the vertex count where used ;) It depends whether or not the model format being exported to supports vertex normals. Formats like MD5 that don't bother exporting the normals for geometry, assume completely averaged normals, so to get something that simulates a hard edge, it's required to double up on vertices there (physically breaking the surface).

Good work so far Rhys.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the overlapping geometry did create a few problems while baking, so I split up some of the pieces.
    It took 2.5 hours to bake the ao:poly141:
    Ive cleaned up the normal map a bit still more to go, ao map needs tons of cleaning which i havent done any of yet and its getting late now.

So screenshots68991560.jpg
    86900014.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perspective view pics plz
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok perspective. Starting on the texture... I think I will go for low wear only (not many scratches or marks) 2048x2048 btw

Needs a spec map badly

Ts12f440.jpg Ts12f6z9.jpg Ts12f93i.jpg Ts12fbyr.jpg Ts12h7Mr.jpg

I wish I had a better screen
    Edit: took a look at these pics on my laptop screen(brighter, more contrast, newer etc) And the texture looks so dull:(
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Do you think you can get some screengrabs with a lower FOV? The gun's getting a weird fisheye effect that makes the proportions look weird. The normal maps look friggen flawless though.
  • Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK been a while...
    Calling it done. What do you think?

C4Engine:
    1AfvOJ.jpg 1AfyiS.jpg 1AfAO0.jpg 1AfDi9.jpg

Please let me know if the brightness and contrast are way off or something:\

Cheers
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its good but not amazing in c4 engine bet it would look better in marmoset?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Electro wrote: »
    EarthQuake: Hard edges don't necessarily double the vertex count where used ;) It depends whether or not the model format being exported to supports vertex normals. Formats like MD5 that don't bother exporting the normals for geometry, assume completely averaged normals, so to get something that simulates a hard edge, it's required to double up on vertices there (physically breaking the surface).

Good work so far Rhys.

which is exactly what hard edges is in the end, its where the hardware is told to draw an extra set of vertices, since if they would share that vertex, they would share the normal.

its essentially splitting up the geometry.

Rhys, its looking really good!

you have a few tiny baking errors though, and an easy way to spot them is to render out both the highpoly, and the lowpoly with normals on it, in the same lightingconditions, and if the lowpoly with normals dont shade exactly the same way, then you've probably had some issues with the lowpoly shading.

a perfectly baked normalmap should be shading exactly the same way as the highpoly, the specular will usually show it even more.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    oh and the obligatory blender question: how did you get around mirroring normals in the realtime view of blender?

are you getting around it, or are you not mirroring any uv's?