Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frazetta style Conan armour

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Just a bit of fun, Ive got the Frank Frazetta ICON art book and was inspired to try and make some of the armour seen on the cover or at least emulate the colour scheme and style. Might also make a male warrior to go with this, not sure.

the reference
1180470205.jpg

and heres the armour so far
conan_armour1.jpg

conan_texture1.jpg

Replies

• MetKiller Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your UV template needs a bit more work. There is a lot of space you could be using that is just being wasted at the moment. With that extra space you could give it more detail.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Your UV template needs a bit more work. There is a lot of space you could be using that is just being wasted at the moment. With that extra space you could give it more detail.

I agree. any specific tips on how to achieve this?

Im really not using the 2048x2048 as much as I could and it would probably look similar at 1024x1024, so there is still room for alot more detail even with the not so great uv map.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    nice! :thumbup:

A few things:
    It looks like clay to me at this stage. Everything is so soft. Sharpen up the normal map maybe and it could possibly fix that.
    Add some noisiness to the spec map maybe to break it up some.
    I'd say go back and use a harder brush on the diffuse map. I can clearly see your brush strokes on the axe and it stands out ever so gently. You could break that up as well.

either way, very good start i'd say. :)
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    Well first you could definitely scale up that one piece in the top right corner. And that black blob could definitely be scaled down if it's going to be just that flat color. It's almost like a game of tetris really. You try and rotate and scale up wherever you can to get the most out of your UV space.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    3DK.P. wrote: »
    Well first you could definitely scale up that one piece in the top right corner. And that black blob could definitely be scared down if it's going to be just that flat color. It's almost like a game of tetris really. You try and rotate and scale up wherever you can to get the most out of your UV space.

yeah I think I got a bit obsessed with giving things equal texture space using the checker texture and forgot to just cram it all in more.

Thanks dookie, Ill look into that, I did turn sharpen right down on marmoset to get everything to look more soft and painterly so that might be adding to the soft clay look you speak of. Im wondering wether to use some subtle overlay photo textures but Im a little scared that would ruin the effect as all textures are hand painted at the moment

here it is with sharpen on in the mighty marmoset
    conan_armour2.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great! I love that helmet.

But I agree about the UV layout. The axe blade might have benefited from a few more pixels.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Vig wrote: »

thanks! sweet layout vig! I never thought of rotating the helmet like that, I have to admit uvmapping is probably my weakest and most disliked part of the game art process :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just about done now trying rendering light and post effect setups I kinda like the colour in xnormal but marmoset has better rendering and post effects, heres xnormal
    conan_armour3.jpg

and heres marmoset
    pics taken out due to bandwidth
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    by CROM! ah its all right - i'd like to see more accurate ornamentation on the helmut as pictured - meh but im a frazetta/rob.e.howard purist....

can i haz lamenation of teh wimenz?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty sweet, Ged. For future reference, an' maybe this is just my opinion, but a lot of the wear on the axehead looks a bit lumpy to me. Sculpted detail can get that way pretty easily, dookie already mentioned a clay appearance but basically dents, chips and scratches on a solid blade or haft would be a bit sharper, as in chiseled, whereas soft dents would be more accurate on something like the shield or helmet that is just a formed, possibly thin sheet of metal, like a car body would be dented.

Other'n'at, diffuse looks loads better, love the straightforward geometry. Also, the horns and wood on the axe looked a lot better back in the first picture... less gloss/spec. Specular maps are great for implying material variety, but too much can make it look pretty plastic IMO. Oh, and nice subject/style to replicate. I dig it. :}
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Vrav wrote: »
    Pretty sweet, Ged. For future reference, an' maybe this is just my opinion, but a lot of the wear on the axehead looks a bit lumpy to me. Sculpted detail can get that way pretty easily, dookie already mentioned a clay appearance but basically dents, chips and scratches on a solid blade or haft would be a bit sharper, as in chiseled, whereas soft dents would be more accurate on something like the shield or helmet that is just a formed, possibly thin sheet of metal, like a car body would be dented.

Other'n'at, diffuse looks loads better, love the straightforward geometry. Also, the horns and wood on the axe looked a lot better back in the first picture... less gloss/spec. Specular maps are great for implying material variety, but too much can make it look pretty plastic IMO. Oh, and nice subject/style to replicate. I dig it. :}

thanks vrav

I drew some lumps on the axehead and then used the flatten brush on them hoping it would look hard/chiselled but I guess that isnt the effect it come out with at the end, Ill have to work on my texture sculpting more. Will show the highpolys soon.

The axe, horns, wood specular isnt majorly different to in that first pic just added more grit and colouration, might just be the angle of the light and the rendering making it look different.

Achmedthesnake, thanks haha I tried to see whats going on in that painting but I only have that book cover to go from so it wasnt easy. Got lots of respect for frazetta and his elite painting skills :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    done, thanks for all the tips, got some good ideas for next time.

conan_armour5.jpg

highpoly
    armour_highpoly.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    decided to do conan using this frazetta pic as a loose reference
    http://frankfrazetta.org/images/frank_frazetta_warrior.jpg

conan_sculpt1.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like your off to a good start with him Ged. Once you get the hair on him im sure it will really help with the likeness. I think his body is too big right now, in the painting conan has a pretty big head. His shoulders are also on the wide side, in the painting he seems to be more of a compact/stocky type of buff guy, not just a hulkish strong man.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nrek wrote: »
    I think his body is too big right now, in the painting conan has a pretty big head. His shoulders are also on the wide side, in the painting he seems to be more of a compact/stocky type of buff guy, not just a hulkish strong man.

agree with that nrek, Im fighting against my urges to just make him a typical superhero/spacemarine build, I think it will make a more unique piece if I can get closer to the original style so Ill work on the things you mentioned soon.
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Keep going the way you are, this is good stuff.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Ged, this is looking awesome. Keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the encouragement guys.
    I changed his proportions, mostly the head and features there to look more like the frazetta painting I referenced earlier.
    havent had any time to refine the forms more and add detail.
    conan_sculpt2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sculpt pretty much done might go on to retopo now

conan_sculpt3.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hah. love the wide face.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    OO yeah, loving those proportions!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks butt and john, done the lowpoly on to textureing

conan_lowpoly1.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I started texturing and then noticed some really bad flaws in his head shape and eyes and tried to go back and fix it but now he looks like some kind of crazy man.

* edit - well I kind of fixed it with texture painting, it will never be quite what I wanted but I guess Ill treat it as a lesson.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    textures very wip

conan_lowpoly2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its getting there

conan_lowpoly3.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    its looking good.
    maybe tone down the lines going to the eye and by the mouth.
    quick paintover after the frazetta painting:
    g0dbgats.jpg
    also reduce the height of the eye and mouth.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    I like your last wip image and dejawolf's paintover on the face is spot on, good luck!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By Crom's hairy orbs!

vvvery nice work mann, now give him sum pantene shiny locks and he's good to go.....
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the comments guys :)
    dejawolf the paintover really helped, Ive been looking at him too long and it was hard to see what was wrong. That said I couldnt implement all the changes because the normal map started to get screwed up if I contorted his face too far but I did try to make him more like your paintover.
    heres some playing around in marmoset, could be final Im not sure about the hair though.

conan_lowpoly4.jpg

conan_lowpoly5.jpg
  • kodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's probably too late, but those horns look really dinky. I wish you had gone with the other helmet.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    kodiak wrote: »
    I know it's probably too late, but those horns look really dinky. I wish you had gone with the other helmet.

yeah I wasnt even planning on making this character, when it started I was just going to do the armour.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    the last shot with the frazetta lighting is looking really cool.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    final pics, hope you like it tried to get a variety of frazetta mood in there.

conan_final1.jpg

conan_final2.jpg

conan_final3.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this went off the front page without any comment or crit, anyone have anything to say before this thread disappears into the great obscurity of polycount?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    I really like the painted look you managed to get with the image, and overall he looks pretty cool but there are a number of little things that kinda take away from him. It looks like there is a normal error on his elbow/forearm area. The hair is too dark and blocky, like a low res alpha mask and not an opacity map. And I know you were going for a lower tricount but the silhouette of the fingers bugs me. Would be cool to see a wire shot :).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nrek wrote: »
    I really like the painted look you managed to get with the image, and overall he looks pretty cool but there are a number of little things that kinda take away from him. It looks like there is a normal error on his elbow/forearm area. The hair is too dark and blocky, like a low res alpha mask and not an opacity map. And I know you were going for a lower tricount but the silhouette of the fingers bugs me. Would be cool to see a wire shot :).

thanks, good idea I will post wires when I can. I agree with all your comments, I didnt realise quite how low poly he was until I tried to pose him and the elbow looked a bit wierd and the fingers look to chunky. The hair only looks nasty because of marmosets alpha settings otherwise I would have used an opacity mask. It is only 7206 tris for the whole scene
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now all you need is some nubile scantily clad wimen surrounding him.....nice work

- pity the low poly shows up when you pose - maybe 'slighty' edit the mesh in max w/ preserve uv's on (or off i'm not sure witch) and get those vertices in the right spots for deformation (especially the fingers) - - unleessss he's a Cimmerian piano player...then he needs the delicate long fingers....