Home Technical Talk

photoshop actions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Can someone. please. fucking tell me --

why the fuck.

when i create a save action in photoshop. to save my psd out as a targa.. sometimes.. it saves it properly -- diffuse.tga

and some-fuck-times the action gets created poorly or something and always saves it as diffuse_copy.tga

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    F---- Yeah !
    WHY ?

No seriously, i have the same problem, and it's really annoying, t seems so random.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    The only things that comes to mind is about Alpha Channel. If you got it in the image to save and choose to save without it, it allows "As Copy" only.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    If the image is 'flat' - IE the single locked alpha 'background' layer - then it won't save a 'copy', if you've got two or more layers, it'll try save a copy, thinking that you'll want to save your original name as the .PSD

So if you wanted to automate - make it flatten the image, save it, then undo the flatten.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that makes sense, but a good amount of the time it doesn't need to flatten shit and it'll save it just fine..

syncviews -- doesn't seem to matter actually. i'm toggling that bitch and it's still just got the "as copy" button greyed out.. obstinate whore..
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain, but photoshop is a dream compared to some of the software I have to use in my job. Think of no shortcut doing the same thing across different parts of the applications, no traditional windows shortcuts (ALT+F4, CTRL+V etc) and worse no whitespace culling, so you try paste something 12 chars and 4 spaces (which always happens when you copy things from emails ) and it just doesn't work. Graphics/interface from windows app circa 1990 - you get the picture. :D

And every new version they bring out to improve it breaks a few more things.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think sometimes layer masks are saved as an extra alpha channel which will also trigger the copy thing... I think.

My TGA save action flattens then undo's it. Pretty painless.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    If the name of the psd is the same as the tga then it wil save as copy. If you name the psd slightly differently, then it will no longer do that copy stuff.

"Problem" now is that for each new psd project you have to first define the location of the specific tga by double clicking the "save as tga" sub-action, in the action. Otherwise it will remember the previous location/file and just overwrite that.
    So technically its a action that you have to modify slightly per project, but I don't think its that much of a hassle.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    This is a tga ps script I found from right here on polycount a long time ago that saves PSD into TGA without adding "copy" and without needing to change anything each project. Hope its what you're looking for, it's for CS3. Not sure if it will work on CS4, but take a look:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jamestaylor/
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ive found that if you type the name out when recording the action, it will always do _copy, due to the "With Copy" checkbox. If you touch the input type box at all, and add/change anything, it will apply the _copy name on the next save. The "same name as psd" also makes sense.

Best suggestion i can give would be to save the file first manually, then in the action double click the file in the browser instead of typing the name. works like a charm, kind of obnoxious, but hope it helps. :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    If the name of the psd is the same as the tga then it wil save as copy. If you name the psd slightly differently, then it will no longer do that copy stuff.

"Problem" now is that for each new psd project you have to first define the location of the specific tga by double clicking the "save as tga" sub-action, in the action. Otherwise it will remember the previous location/file and just overwrite that.
    So technically its a action that you have to modify slightly per project, but I don't think its that much of a hassle.

ILLUMINATION!

i love you.

i love the rest of you too, btw.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'm using vtools which alexk linked to. Works fine in cs4. Click quicksavePSDTGA and it will save a tga with the same name as the psd in the same directory. Only annoyance is that it opens the newly created tga up.

I got fed up with changing action directories while working with multiple projects and folders.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking into doing this just now but I'm stumped, not so much with the save itself, which workds fine (action flattens image, crops and saves) but I wanted to make it increment the file names/numbers - is this even possible in CS3?

Seems there is no difference between chosing 'save' and 'save as' when recording the action and you can't stop it half-way through.

Wanted it to be case of hit F8, crop/flatten, pop-up save-as dialogue, reverse crop/flatten.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    nah it's an awesome feature adobe developers thought they would add to photoshop cs2 and later. What I do is record and action that saves a file as a copy then opens that copy and save it as the desired file name then closes the copy. This mimics how photoshop 7 and earlier used to save things. You can also use vtools for photoshop.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blimey! So much for simplicity, what's CS3, version 10? You'd think they'd have included the option by then, what's more frustrating is you can see the options within the action, but not edit them. :poly127:

Will investigate Vtools then, damn, thought it'd be a whole lot simpler than a 3rd party plug-in to do saves with file-numbers.

Basically what I have is an image double width, where left halft is the photo ref + palette splodges, right half is the image I'm drawing , then to crop out just the drawing each time, save incrementally, then stitch the sequence in the RAM player for sped up drawing awesomeness. :D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    Click quicksavePSDTGA and it will save a tga with the same name as the psd in the same directory. Only annoyance is that it opens the newly created tga up.

Pretty sure that's a setting you can turn off in the main vTools dialog.

I'll have to see if I can get clearance from work to release my version, it's a lot simpler and a little faster than vTools (although slightly less flexible but I think for most people that's not a problem).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Does clicking the little icon to the left of the "save" bit not make the dialog window pop up, allowing you to custom name it? It should turn red to indicate a "stop," and should pick up afterwards.

There are ways to get incremental file naming in photoshop, but you gotta get a little creative.

in File > Scripts, there are a few scripts that will allow you to save layers to file, layer comps to file, etc. They will save with _####, you can change how many numbers it draws by editing the .js script file. Search for "zerosum" and there should be an area there that puts the 4 numbers in the file name. Alternatively, if you can comment out the numbering and have it use the layernames and or layer comp names.

With tga saving action, you can use File > Automation > Batch Action, and manipulate the file names. You may be able to do some naming increments in the Batch menu. This may not be exactly what you're looking for, as Batch actions are best used when needing to run the same action on multiple files, not the same file with multiple actions.

in a more brute force way, you can write a script for photoshop to save it, save the file #, and increment per save. When you create the action, you just call the script. Wouldnt be a bad idea when creating a timelapse.

it may be more cumbersome, but you could make an action that merges, selects all, copy,paste, move back history 2, swichto document "merged" paste, create new layercomp, save file. When you finish, you can run the File > Scripts > Layer Comps to Files to save all layer comps out to individual files. If you name the layer comps w/ numbers, you'd probably want to edit out the numbering bit in the script before running it, or you'd get name_##_####.tga

You could also have it paste into a new document, and instead of creating a layercomp, create a new keyframe in the Animation Timeline. you're finished you can use File > Export > Movie, and choose individual frames, where they'll incrementally number the files. Or, you could just have it dump out the actual .mov or .flv, or whatever other movie file you want straight from Photoshop.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    MoP wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's a setting you can turn off in the main vTools dialog.

I'll have to see if I can get clearance from work to release my version, it's a lot simpler and a little faster than vTools (although slightly less flexible but I think for most people that's not a problem).

Yeah, it is. I turned it off a couple days ago. Now the only annoyance is that I mapped the vtools save to a hotkey but it doesn't work. It always comes up with a debug window. It works fine when I go to it through the menu though...

About your tools, I like simplicity. Less flexibility shouldn't be a problem. For me, if it saves in the same directory with the same filename, the only option I then care about is include alpha channel, or do not include alpha channel. Being able to hotkey it and have it work would be a bonus. :p