Home Technical Talk

Pen Tablet

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Hey. so i have a terrible cordless mouse that shakes all over the screen. i was just about to buy a new mouse, but then figured since i'm getting into modeling, i might check out pen tablets.

first off, how much of a difference in your work has it made? much easier? moderately more comfortable? or even just a comparable alternative?

and secondly, which one is appropriate for most things i would need to do. to give you an idea of my price range, i was checking out Wacom's Bamboo Craft.

it's set at 129$, and mainly interests me because it includes:
  1. Bamboo Craft pen tablet
  2. Bamboo Craft mouse
  3. Bamboo Craft pen
  4. Pen stand
  5. USB cable
  6. Quick start guide
why i started at Wacom was because i'd heard it was the best, but if anyone knows of a great cheap alternative, i'd love to hear it. i know there are likely lots of opinionated gentlemen on here who like their pen tablets like they enjoy their 100$ wine...but i'd just as soon get drunk off of 2$ wine. at the end of the day, moving a vertex is moving a vertex, your tablet can only help you in so many ways. so far i've been able to cope with a terrible, terrible mouse.

so remember, really cheap recommendations please :D

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I got a bamboo - only a £60 job, A5 size, is pretty good for the price, it doesn't have features like pen rotation or tilt, but has a decent enough pressure sensitivity and is nice enough for everything from photo retouching to sketching.

Go as big as you can afford though, as one thing I regret is not having a larger space to draw on - especially when it's absolute co-ordinates, it can be tricky to get smaller details without zooming right in first.

If you got a small tablet with a mouse or a large tablet without, go for the larger, my USB mouse works just fine with the bamboo , just remember to take the pen off the surface before trying to use it. :D
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I have a my Tablet for about two years now (Wacom Intuos3 L) and it hadn't have a big impact on my modeling. For painting and sculpting I couldn't live without the Pen, but in Max I use the Mouse (mostly).

If you want a Tablet, go for Wacom, not too small, but also not too big ;). If I'd upgrade my Tablet, I'd go for a smaller one...M should be a good size. (I would love to get a Cintiq, but these are outside my scope...)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, awesome recommendations. will look more closely at wacom then
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    I got a bamboo - only a £60 job, A5 size, is pretty good for the price, it doesn't have features like pen rotation or tilt, but has a decent enough pressure sensitivity and is nice enough for everything from photo retouching to sketching.

Go as big as you can afford though, as one thing I regret is not having a larger space to draw on - especially when it's absolute co-ordinates, it can be tricky to get smaller details without zooming right in first.

If you got a small tablet with a mouse or a large tablet without, go for the larger, my USB mouse works just fine with the bamboo , just remember to take the pen off the surface before trying to use it. :D

that's an interesting point, because i figured i could just get a small and turn off absolute coords. do they make them toggled or is it always absolute?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I've a Wacom Bamboo. Saves me from getting claw fingers.

I wouldnt worry about the size too much I've an A5, and it works fine across two monitors, you get nice fluid strokes. Too big and you end up moving your arm around loads and having no room on your desk.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i tried apitek, genius, and trust, all no match to a wacom
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kk ordered Wacom CTE650s. (Bamboo fun medium)

medium seemed like a comfortable size. i bought refurbished at 98$, vs retail 199$. hopefully it's in good condition...but it comes with a year warranty if it's not
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use intuos 3 for almost everything, including polymodeling and even surfing teh internets. Best investment I've ever made.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to use my stylus in 3d apps rather than the mouse, it keeps me from getting any wrist pain. It took a little while to get used to it though.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Once you get Wac you never go back.........ahem!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    ralusek wrote: »
    that's an interesting point, because i figured i could just get a small and turn off absolute coords. do they make them toggled or is it always absolute?

I've never figured a way to turn it off, so when it comes to doing something complex like selecting a sub-menu in PS, I usually reach for the mouse, otherwise though, if you're in FFFF TAB mode (black screen, free panning canvas and no menu/palettes ) you're good to roam , the pen itself has a button that acts like hitting the space bar in PS to allow you to drag the canvas around quite nicely. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I got a intuos4 large, its a bit big, but I like that it's larger because it gets me use to drawing larger on paper.