Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel Critique

hey all, Ive been looking forward to getting some feedback from u all on my demo reel :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yzu4XMPt8Y[/ame]

Replies

• achillesian
    my book on 3ds max modeling for games from autodesk press, has a thing in the back about making your portfolio, it mentions that everything in the portfolio should be your own concepts, and yet i see many many concepts that belong to other people, as well as rehashes of figures in movies / other video games.

So, is the book total bullshit?
  • SuicideCrotchShot
    idk, man i know you should def stay away from copy written material for sure. As far as using peers or colleagues stuff, totally fine as long as u give them credit.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17

I'd say so, yeah.

If not, you'd not be allowed to show anything you've created whilst at a studio, or from blueprints, right?

Nice demoreel. Strong presentation, too :)
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i like your stuff. like the texture work, esp, spec maps. Just the right amount of shiny. makes me want a closer view.
  • SuicideCrotchShot
    Thanks guys
    @ at P442 yea closer camera def. soon to come.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    There's nothing wrong with the models, they are pretty good.

But, there is a lot wrong with the presentation. It's really boring. Plain grey background, flat lighting/shaders, static camera angles, same pedestal(?). You could put a lot more effort into the presentation of these models. As it is now I would rather just see Gallery Images. Make the cameras more interesting, add some pan ups, some zoom ins, cool stuff like that. Also rework the spec maps and shaders to show off the models a bit better. :)
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice reel no doubt.

Are you character rigged? If so I think you should create some idle cycles for them.. It will really bring them to life and make them much more interesting to look at while they are spinning.
  • Mark Dygert
    Cool reel, nice work!
    It really depends on the job you're going for. Creature designer? Yea its probably important to show some of your own ideas. Prop artist or character artist they will probably have existing concepts and want you just to implement them. In that case they might want to see how close you can get to established ideas.

Claiming its 100% yours? Sure, that's a bad idea. Probably a deal breaker.
    Not giving credit? Possible smacktardery but probably wouldn't keep you from getting a job. If they ask or say "that's a cool idea" be straight with them.
    Giving credit? A nice thing to do but not really necessary.
  • SuicideCrotchShot
    thanks guys
    @brandoom, my characters are rigged and an idle animation would be awesome. :poly142:
    @Frump, Yes i agree my texture are getting destroyed, mainly by the render settings and lighting ive used. Currently troubleshooting that:)