Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Basement hall [WIP]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Been slowly working on this along with learning the Crysis editor. Most of it is placeholders with quick diffuse tiles to give me an idea of the general look. Currently, I'm modelling more "stuff" to put in. Ignore the long dark strip on the left wall, I had an idea to put a long rusty copper metal strip there but.... deciding to take it out

hall4.jpg

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, more CryEngine stuff! I like what you have so far. Is that left pipe going to keep going or stop there?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks cool so far alex. I really want to try jumping into the crysis editor sometime. Where is the lighting coming from in the top of the image? Is there another window higher up out of the frame?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the blooooom, it burrnss it burrrnss!!!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @3DLee: I was thinking of the pipe leading to a valve pump thingy. If anyone knows the technical term for these things, please let me know :) Something like this pic:

valveo.jpg

@nrek: I have some broken boards which lets some light in from the ceiling, which is not seen in the screenshot. BUT, I also added 2 very soft point lights in that area because I felt it didn't light the room enough.

@achillesian: I know! but I don't know how to reduce it :) It may get better once I get specular maps in and tweak the material values
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Added in a vale unit thingy, a hanging light bulb and a small vent on right wall. I still don't know how to reduce bloom in Crysis editor, especially from the opening in the ceiling. So If anyone knows, please post

hall6.jpg
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    really cool so far man, you could even break out a brick or 2 on the corner, bring some like up from the bottom, just a suggestion because the bottom right needs more love. Some aliasing around the door but im sure thats not even an issue for you now. and the pipe prop you just made has some smoothing group/normals issue, just needs to get hard.

What would be cool is having some leaves on the floor since now you have the room smashed open. And id try to see if you can do a subtle beam from the sun coming through the doors window and the roof, might be cool touch. The room has nice volume now, one thing my stuff has always lacked, good job.
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    environment art isnt really my thing, but im really digging this!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Started to do some textures and getting normal maps and specular maps on things. Made a ladder and broom as well. Having some issues with lighting. It's not hitting my textures well enough to show off the normal and spec maps. Also seems my entire scene has a greenish haze to it, which I want to fix. Still gotta do some decals and dirt mounds for the floor

hall8.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could always make the light bulb one to show off the textures a bit more.
  • oalexis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe to turn down the bloom you could try going and editing your time of day settings, and turn down how much the sun affects the hdr light settings that might reduce your bloom. You can also turn up how much sun effects specular, hope that helps. Its looking really good otherwise. Having that light on might be good too
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    oalexis: thanks for the tips.. I've been checking those settings too. I also gotta tweak the shader settings too, those seem to have quite an impact, , hopefully can find a good balance when i'm reaching the end

heres a little update with my texturing. nothing too exciting, the scene is mostly tile based textures. I'm looking into doing decals next, for the walls and ground. And hopefully can spend the whole next week on making debris and just general junk to scatter around

hall10.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cheap & fun: Replace the tiling walls with some modular meshes (assuming they aren't. Even better if they already are). Now take some random bricks and give them actual geometry, bumping them outward a bit. Bonus points if you do this in and around where your pipes are resting on the wall. The extruded geometry will cast nice shadows and add some AO to add interest on the flat wall where the eye is already going.

Also, 8 sided cylinders on that mesh work close to the camera? Boo! Update that shiz to 16, 20 sided even. No sense in breaking the belief of the scene with such unneeded optimizations.

Some rays from the light above and a bunch of itty-bitty garbage on the ground and you've got yourself one fine looking environment.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    more floor work, bit of grease and shinealong the path and some good old fashioned dirt in them corners. lastly sprinkle a few smaller items, paper, stones small rubble around the non walked areas
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Lighting looks a bit weird at the top where the crack is. There's all this bloom around the opening suggesting a very strong midday sun, yet there's no light on the adjacent wall or on the floor.

Also id get rid of the bloom on the pipes as it's not really being hit with direct light.

I believe the bloom can be adjusted through the TOD editor.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I like this alot. Nothing groundbreaking, but you've really nailed some staples of game art with your brick and woodwork. The pipes could use some more tris, they're the only thing really killing the illusion of photorealism at the moment. The bit closest to the camera is the main offender.

The hole in the cieling I think could be toned down some, maybe put some more bits of roof here and there. It does jazz up the scene, but it doesn't match the window with the tree foliage in it enough to be immediately recognizable as outside lighting. It looks like a different type of light source altogether with its difference in yellow.

Some really brightly collored plastic yellow barrels would look cool, and give it a game art "pop". Just a suggestion, comin' out great.

Edit: A small spider on that brick in the foreground would be kick ass.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Added decals to the floor and walls. Added more rubble and litter. Added some cinderblocks. Pushed out some bricks on the left wall as suggested. Added more geometry to my valve unit. Removed my wood boxes, gonna do a different type of box as I feel I already have alot of wood in the scene already. Crysis really craps on my decals at certain angles, like in pic 1, oh wells. Still need to fiddle with lighting, as well as try to incorporate more of the suggestions that were posted

hall13a.jpg

top down view, better looking decals

hall13b.jpg
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! I agree on the shafts of light comments. Perhaps some dust particles floatin around too? So, how's working with Sandbox? Easy to get your meshes/textures in? How's their material editor?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    oh yah, gotta add the shafts too :) not sure how to do the dust particles tho, hmm..

Sandbox has been pretty easy to pickup and imho I think it's friendlier than UE3. It's very similar to 3ds max with how it does the materials. Importing meshes and getting materials on them takes a lot less steps than UE3. Just export using the Crysis exporter, refresh the Crysis brush menu, and that's it. The mesh remembers the material you give it from 3ds Max, so you just export the material from max and it will go onto the mesh. Very cool for meshes with multiple materials, cause you just setup a multi-sub material in Max and export that. Instead of UE3, where I had to setup a brand new material for every different texture on a multi-sub mesh

The only thing that bugs me right now, is that I think there's some issues syncing with paths since I bought Crysis off steam. I have issues when I sync materials from Crysis with Max and also exporting materials from Max to Crysis when needing to update them. Sometimes it just doesn't update, and also a little quirky handling filenames with uppercase letters. I also kinda wish it could load up new scenes as just rooms, like in UE3. Seems like all new scenes always start out as outdoor terrain with water. Other than those, I'm really loving it. I'm totally in love with the realtime SSAO and lighting system.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I really like the atmosphere of this scene. Everything is really coming together. :)
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work alexk! Iam really digging how your assembling and lighting your scene. Looks like your really diving into the Sandbox.

Gawd. I wish I could export multi-sub materials the way your doing it. For some reason, the material editor will not create a new material within Sandbox, when I do it your way. Its just blank mat editor. LAME! So i create a material manually and then assign it. Yay me. lol

Aside from adding extra gemotery on the pipes (should do it!) particles would be killer in this little scene. It would really add alot. You should check it out.
    And yeah, Sandbox does handle textures/normal maps really shitty at a slanted angle. Iam having this problem right now. It really looses those detials. I think the key is extra gemotery. Thats what Iam trying right now atm. Well see what happens.

Awesome work man, keep it up!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @mikezoo: That's weird that you're not getting the materials into crysis like me. Are you naming the mtl the exact same name as your material in max? Are you looking in the right place in the crysis material window? For me, my materials end up in the "Objects" and not "Materials" folders in that window. Also, my 3ds max folder for this scene is within the crysis folders. So, my 3ds max save file is in the folder that crysis saves my scene in, in my case its: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\crysis wars\Game\objects\hallway
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Alexk, can we see a few texture sheets? Nice work man.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    A-Train wrote: »
    Alexk, can we see a few texture sheets? Nice work man.

Here ya go! I'll definetly post more wires and textures as I get closer to finishing, which is real soon. Alot of the meshes, I just import into Crysis and instance them around, so I don't really have a full scene in max. But, according to Crysis, this scene is about 10,000 tri's at the moment. There are stuff that I still haven't optimized yet, mostly on the broken roof, and possibly the bent pipes.

Diffuse, Spec, Normal. Square tiling textures are 512x512. The rest are scaled properly, so just use the squares to judge the relative size :) If there's anything specific you want to see, just ask

Tiles
    tex1a.jpg

Uniques. Vent square texture = 256x256
    tex1bbb.jpg

And lastly, this is my shame... This is the texture for the valve unit. I originally wanted it to be unique, but it ended up practically the same as my tiling copper pipe texture. Sadly it's 512x1024 but shares the same spec and normal as my tiling copper pipe texture
    tex1c.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Added green tin can, carboard boxes, tire, light shafts. Lighting is all weird at the moment, and I'm not sure if I like the light shaft because it's not matching the ingame sun direction. The sun direction is actually coming from the door window and not downward. Nonetheless, I'll be spending time on lighting anyways and tweaking material settings. Modelling and texturing is pretty much done. I still can't find the right setting in the "time of day" window to adjust the bloom that appears from the roof.

hall14.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    This is top notch work. I love all the time and love in such a small scene. It really shows off your skills. Keep it up! The can and tire adds some nice color to the scene, but I think it could use a bit more somewhere, it is a bit gray overall. Maybe add a little color to the bricks? It's not very often you see totally grayscale bricks. And, yes the light beams throws me off a bit, tone it down and correct the angle. Fantastic.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a well composed scene, and it's got a believable amount of clutter. Just gotta change the direction of the volume light and your good to go :)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Some wires of a few objects in case I missed some serious mesh problems or optimizing that I can do. This time around, I was more generous with the triangle count but tried to get more efficient with texture usage

wires1.jpg

Special note on the ladder: I orignally built a small step ladder, but once I put it into Crysis, it turned out alot smaller than I wanted. So I just duplicated my vertical wood mesh and attached it to the bottom to make it longer. That's why there's a horizontal edge loop near the bottom
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are some dicks in this world who do nothing but commenting on others work.. and some of them are so much losers that they even cant resist to spend time on doing so.. I think I am one of those... :) no offense but I think You can add more color into it.. In my opinion game art is not just about "realism" its more about authenticity and making things interesting and cool. This is authentic and interesting and can be even more cool by adding some color into it.. Thats just my humble opinion.. its just a matter of personal taste.. And as I said I couldnt resist myslf by working on it.. If its your personal stuff then you can go crazy on details.. Pipe thingy is an "object" here surrounded by "stuff" so you can make it really really awesome unless you change your composition. here is what I did... please don't mind my stepping in to your territory.. cheerz my friend.
    hall14ctrlzv.gif
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Been working on lighting and it's been mostly trial and error. I ended up with this today... not sure if I like it. Gonna keep trying.

hall15.jpg

@ctrlZ: thanks for the paintover. I agree that my scene is a bit too monochromatic and i'll try to get more color in. I absolutely want to make it more game art than a study on realism but something inside me just kinda cringes whenever I try to amp some of the colors :S

This is my ref that my scene is based off, and my above lighting attempt was a stab and trying to replicate this

ref.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Another lighting attempt, I'm liking this one alot more. I moved the light rays so that it works with the Crysis lighting, which is, the sun rays are coming from the door window. Change the lighting color near foreground to a more orange color, with a softer blue lighting in the background

hall16.jpg