Home Technical Talk

questions about UT3 shadows

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
P442 polycounter lvl 8
i built a small room with a desk in it, and stuck one d/s light in there. The desk cast shadows and looks great by converting it to a mover and cast dynamic shadows. This may look good, but like many things in UT3, should be used sparingly. Is there a way to get a similar effect without bogging down the level? Normal SM with static light is not casting shadows at all it seems

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Is it casting a shadow onto a BSP or a static mesh?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    itll cast shadows with a normal pointlight and sm but you need to make sure it's checked on, in both the light and SM, and also check what your static lighting is like around there. Too many lights will wash out/eliminate shadows.

And bump up the lightmap res on that BSP surface to like, 1 (just for a test... definitely knock that down later) and rebuild then rebake lighting to see if shadows are cast on it. They probably are, it might just be your bsp res is too low.

And finally, I always found the spotlight (Static channel, but any channel should work) casts nice shadows, but I don't think it's any different in it's approach than a pointlight, it just seems nicer