Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercenary Soldier redux

Hi folks-

a while back I posted my first completed game piece, which was a soldier, The feedback generally indicated that the texturing on his clothing was bland and uninteresting, but the sculpt was fine.

I've moved onto other things but this has nagged at me so I took a second pass at the clothing yesterday, and wondered how people felt this version compared. I mainly added tonal shifts and variation plus grime, and reworked the normals and specularity to suggest more interesting surfaces. I've posted the new one and the original:

posedforsite.jpg

soldier_front.jpg

Thanks!

~P~

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The cloth looks fairly good now (although the folds aren't showing up as well on the trousers compared to his shirt, it seems).

However you have some underlying proportions issues that should be fixable in the lowpoly - notably his arms are too short, his legs are to long and his feet are huuuge. Given the fact that his face and clothing are fairly realistic rather than stylised, it would definitely help to have more believable proportions to his body.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay cool- I'll take a look at tweaking his proportions cheers :)

I like big feet though! :P

~P~
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have reviewed the length of his legs somewhat, and slightly lengthened his arms, but for some reason my image hosting is down so I can't display it :( But you were right MoP; it's subtle but makes him "hang together" much more nicely.

On a lovely additional note, my subscription copy of 3DWorld just fell through the letterbox and they included a letter I wrote regarding some ZBrush training they'd reviewed- and included 6 images of my soldier to accompany the letter :D Cue jumping up and down excitedly and shouting "AWESOME" in a manner suiting someone half my age...

It's the crappy bland texture version but oh well :) I am just chuffed to see my work somewhere "real"!! Big happy grin day...

~P~