Home Technical Talk

Great lighting for the Wii?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sputch polycounter lvl 18
Hi!
We're starting pre-production on a game at my company and I'm gathering some reference for attractive character lighting solutions. I have to say Mario Galaxy's soft diffused look with that bounced rim light was very appealing and would suit our game well, but I am interested in any standout lighting that has been achieved for the Wii. Seeing as this is technical talk, feel free to elaborate on the approach used to achieve this look.
What Wii games sport the best character lighting in your opinion?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not lazy. I'll be doing my own research for sure, just figured I'd draw on the vast combined experience of Polycount as well.

Replies

• fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    galaxy uses a per model lightning system, just based on the indivdual shader, i.e. they use an envball with modulatex2 on a regular flat color texture to get nice shading. on top they usually add a hardware rim light. each model has their own shader with different settings, so there is no unified lightning approach. and don't forget an ao pass, normally on a per vertex base.
    we do the same thing for our new game and think you can get great results. can't post anything yet. maybe in a few weeks.
    i think spyborgs has some cool graphics for a wii game.
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot Fade1! Our Tech Director had broken Galaxy's lighting down once for me before but not in such detail. Appreciated. And, yeah, just had a look at Spyborgs, very nice indeed.