Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #3 - Steen

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Steen polycounter lvl 16
Not sure, but this may be my first post on polycount. I've been trying to model this fubar tool for the workshop, but I'm thinking of restarting. I thought I'd go ahead and post my progress and ref to get some feedback.

fubar_ref.jpg

fubar_wip3.jpg

Replies

• NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks ok. There's alot of triangles though. Don't be afraid to add tons of more edges if thats what it takes to make quads. I'd do the "EXTREME" text as a floater.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All quads are triangulated during render time or when bringing into engine so those tris are fine. you really just dont want tris to be anywhere deformation will be happening or on curved surfaces. where the tris are in this model is fine because they are not creating any pinching problems.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, for your HP sub-d mesh you generally want quads. You can use ngons in some places if its not on a curve/detail, just on a flat area. Same for tris too, but best to use quads when you can.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to limit my the tris when I get back to it. I'm thinking of breaking the mesh up into separate parts for the handle, head, and nail prying part. I think it'll simplify my edge flow a little.