Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young Genie/Gypsy Girl Model

aeryis
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
aeryis polycounter lvl 10
This is my first time making a low poly game model. I need some suggestions. My biggest concern would be the joints area where she'll bend and if i have enough edge loops for deformation. Should I make this model all one piece, or should I break her up? Right now her shirt and torso are one piece. Her chest and neck area, hands and forearms, legs and shoes are all separate. Let me know what you think... Anybody...? Thanks!

WIP_female_body02.jpg

WIP_female_body_wireframe02.jpg

Replies

• aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far so good, I think. :D Another lil update. Added the head. Everything is one piece except for her shoes, head and chest area, and anything else around her head. Still a WIP. gotta fix the ponytail, and maybe the shoes so they don't look too clunky. With everything, she's at 3543 faces/ 7702 tris. So, which is more important, faces, or tris? Talk to me peeps!

genia_WIP.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minimum tris for sculpting in mudbox or zbrush, then automatically converted to tris for game, neither is more important than the other, the requirement will just be in either, 4 sided faces, or 3 sided faces (tris)
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My two cents:

The tri count is more important than face count. What count are you aiming for?

Completely my personal opinion, I would try taking out some of the edges in the torso, as its really dence compared to the rest of the body. And add some where the polys are long. especailly if your going to use a sculpting program.

The only reason I would break up a model is if it needs more texture space/detail.

As for the deformations of the character when you rig, I (personally) would rotate her arms to 45degree angles to her body. Otherwise you may have probelms with her shoulders when the arms are down.
    You may also want to insert a loop where her elbow is. it looks like there 2 edge loops where it would be deforming, All joints should have 3 edge loops to deform nicely.

The hands look like they're 'spread eagle' you may want to rotate/tweek these to a more relaxed pose, as when you rig the fingers, and thumbs 'spread eagle' has a tendancy of making them look broken at the joints.

Hope that helped, maybe it will spark some more critque :)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    whenever a game artist says "polycount" a normal person might think he means polygon count, but this isn't the case. He actually means TRI count. No one has ever asked me how many faces my models have, only how many TRIs.
    I can see that you've tried to keep the geometry in quads, which isn't a bad idea. You can, however, lower the poly(tri)count by terminating some loops in areas that aren't going to be seen or areas that aren't going to deform(animate/move).
    I think this is a solid model to bring into zbrush so you can smooth out some of the geometry and fix proportions and what not, then export from zbrush and import into 3d program you are using for UVing. Then back into Zbrush for detailed sculpting. I hope all of this makes sense. Solid start.
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 15
    Looks pretty good so far. Your edge loops could probably be more even. If you can relax her arms, it'll look nicer for sculpt Make sure to give her a belly button at some point. :)
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay! I think I'm gettin there. Reduced her by a lot. She's at 3248 faces/ 6194 tris. I stuck to 3 and 4 sided polygons. I guess tris it is then. :D

Neavah: I can understand the 45 degree angle, but what about her arms going up instead of down? I read somewhere about the importance of limbs sticking straight out for animating and rigging. Perhaps there's somewhere where you can show me about the differences? And what do you mean by "broken at the joints?"

genia_wip_wireframe02.jpg

Below is a lil concept art of her. I guess to clarify her character a little bit more cause there's confusion on what she's supposed to be without going through a whole history book about her, she is a genie/gypsy, but also a FIGHTER as well (hence the staff). So no scarves or sashes or long flowy dresses and veils. All of that will get in the way.

I don't have any access to mudbox or zbrush or any sculpting programs. I guess that's not an option for me now? So I"m gonna have to do it the old fashioned-ancient-times way. I do have the NVIDIA Tools Normal Map Filter for Photoshop. So maybe that'll help some. Will the trial versions of those programs work? I've never done any 3d sculpting. :poly122: :poly007:

I didn't want the classic genie/gypsy look for my character. So a young modern hip-hopish design is what I"m looking for. I understand the shoes are a bit "keebler elf" so I toned them down a little. I was going for more arabic... but arabic shoes that's in boot form. Kicking heads in I don't think you'd stick to slippers long, right? eh heh... I did shorten the arms as they were too long. The concept art below should help fill out the gaps for her overall outfit design.

As for colors/outfit, those are just blinns assigned a color as an outline for where her clothes and skin should be. Haven't done any UV's or texturing yet, and she has wrist guards too which will be in the texturing. But I am sticking to the green color scheme though. Let me know what you think! Thanks! :D

genia_concept_lineart.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks too heavy for the concept art to me. The concept character is waiflike and your girl looks no stranger to a good solid meal. Partly the trousers aren't helping as they are clearly meant to have volume but right now just look like beefy tubes. Once you sculpted into them in ZB or Mudbox, I would consider adding some more loops to define her legs and hips more clearly. All the areas where her curves pull in- ankles, wrists, should be emphasised for this effect. And the trousers are hiding her knees, where the legs would slim out from the thigh, again making her a bit more heavy set than I think you want.

Her shoulders can afford to be broader too- wider than her hips if you look at the art, and this doesn't actually reduce her femininity if you do it- provided she cinches in at the waist before her hips then she still looks sexy :) You've got a lot of loops running through her back which don't define her sillhouette- these could be trimmed to add more definition to her curves without upping your poly count too much. Your face is also more "westernised" than the concept but this may be deliberate- it'd still be worth looking at romany and Mediterranean young female faces to capture some distinctive gypsy features if you can.

Hope this is helpful to you- it's a promising start!

~P~
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From my experince rigging, and skinning (which I'm quite noobish at) a T pose has either caused 1 of 2 problems (for me):
    1. to shoulders when the arms are at the sides look really broad, and almost seem to stick out too much, and bunch up... if that makes sense?
    2. when the arms are down theres obvious intersecting polys in the area around the armpit/upper arm and the chest (made the arms lose alot of volume and look funny).

I've never had too many probelms with the arms going up, but I've also never animated a character with alot of upwards arm movement (that is 90degrees about the ground)...

Here's a thread I found about the Tpose debate:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=54992

By broken at the joints what I mean is when the fingers are rotated to all point in the same direction (parallel, and right next to eachother) the knuckles (on the pinky especailly) make the character look like they're got really bad arthritis. (not to mention posing the thumb to look oposable can be a headeache)

i would suggest if you've got rigging concerns, rig and skin before you texure! nothing is more delightful than rigging after textures are complete, and needing to add and remove edges and verts, and having to redo the textures to follow.

Hope that helps :)
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, nice job on reducing your edges! Looks a lot tighter!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice progress, good proportions:thumbup:

Some crits;
    The looping around the tits and a bit on the arse doesn't look quite right http://www.imrankhalique.net/uploads/zilia_wire1.jpg
    *if you could reduce her nose length a bit and make it curve inwards just before the tip she would look hot.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did more editing and now she's at 5956 tris. Started on the texturing. No bump or spec yet. Got her body already rigged up, then on to the facial rigging soon. Lemme know what you think.

genia_wip_texture01.jpg
    genia_wip_texture02.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking hotter:poly124: Still think her nose is a bit romanesque, there should be a bit of a curve on that bridge there imo. Also, hows about green eyes? It would match her outfit and makeup.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still workin on the texturing. Got most of the shadowing blocked out. Haven't gotten much to her backside yet. Lemme know what you think. *shrug* Working in 2048x2048 but will probably reduce the size later.

genia_texture_wip01.jpg

Detailed shots:

genia_shoes_texture.jpg

genia_texture_wip02.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wrinkles and stuff look pretty good for not being sculpts, love the face