Home Technical Talk

Adding a static custom mesh in Unreal ed!

Hey. I just learnt how to put a custom mesh into unreal ed :
zpj6a.png
But I have no idea how to add it into a map. I've tried adding static mesh but I can't put in the root of the object. Basically, right now, I have a simple mesh with norms spec and diffuse textures. Which are all using something called a material instant constant from irongaurd male.

Any help on how I can use it in a map?

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    looks like you've imported it as a skeletal mesh??

export as .ASE, import as static mesh, then right click (preferably on some BSP) in a map with that asset selected in generic browser, and select 'Add Static Mesh Actor:Yourassetname Here'

Or alt drag an existing static mesh in a map, hit F4 with it selected, scroll right down to StaticMeshActor, expand the rollout and with your new asset selected in generic browser, click the Arrow to change the reference to your asset

theres alot of ways to do it. Try the UE3 master thread for more responses btw
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did o.O ...how do I export it as .ASE?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, just opened up the ed to have a go at this, the ed has got a LOT more complex since UT2004. :/

What ImSlightlyBored said, it you're in max , export as ASE - select mesh - File> export - select ASE format.

Once imported via Generic Browser , you should be able to right-click a surface to add it.

Make sure to create a material in 3dsmax with the same name as the one you're going to use in Unreal, and best to create the material in the editor first before impoting the mesh, as just like UT2004, it should pick up the material in your package and automatically apply it to the mesh on import, otherwise you're gonna make more work for yourself applying it manually each time.