Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for contributors for magazine article

Hey guys,

My name is Daniel Hindes and I'm a features writer for an Australian PC gaming magazine called PC PowerPlay.

I'm currently researching an upcoming feature article about the technology behind the creation and animation of faces in videogames.

What I'd like to get are some insights from 3D artists who have worked on facial modeling and animation for a videogame company, either as an employee, freelance or an outsourcer.

Specifically I'd like to explore the the different methods of development that go into creating faces - such as modeling from the ground up, or scanning in a real person's facial features to achieve a likeness.

The article is also going to explore things like motion capture and the uncanny valley, and will delve into the pros and cons of developing more realistic faces, as opposed to using something more stylised and cartoony.

I've tried contacting various development studios but its difficult to get ahold of the artists themselves. Hopefully you guys can help me. Any insights you can offer into the trials and tribulations of facial modeling and animation would be greatly appreciated.

If you just want to post a short reply that will help me in my research, or provide me with links to other material, that would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to write something a little longer (so that we can quote you in the magazine) you can contact me at dhindes AT next DOT com DOT au. If you need further clarification on what I'm after, don't hestitate to ask.

Unfortunately we won't be able to pay you if we do end up quoting you (I'll still need your permission, of course) but we can most likely send you a free copy of the magazine once it goes to print. Oh, and if this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to move it :)

Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Daniel Hindes
www.pcpowerplay.com.au