Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pimping/Question/First Post - Goblin

Hi there, Polycounters?

First time poster, long time lurker, guess i'll join the fun.

I've had a sketchbook for awhile on conceptart.org but i dont get much feedback there, especially on the 3d side of things, so i'll probably make one here, heres the old sketchbook for curiosity: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159518

My main concern of this post is however a problem i've been having with UV seams popping up on the diffuse and normal maps ( i dont really understand how to make specular maps yet ) made in zbrush.

This is the high poly goblin mesh spun around in zbrush in a youtube vid: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWhalonpRM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWhalonpRM[/ame]

The only difference is i faded the lines around the muscles and stuff a little in the final texture export. The following pictures will show the problem i'm having.

gobpreview1.th.png

gobpreview2.th.png

you can already spot some seams, but i make it clearer in the next image,

gobpreview3.th.png

but the interesting part, is these seams only seem to show up on the lines between poly groups, is there a way i can avoid this, i have tried merging the model into one group, but regardless i get the same effect, the next image proves my point about the polygroups in zbrush

gobpreview4.th.png

FYI i am not using Zmapper, i'm just using the normal map tab on the right sidebar by default, should i be using Zmapper, would that fix this?

Also, before you ask for my flats, stop, because i'm using AUV tiling, I've heard theres has been a seam problem using tangent space bump mapping and AUV tiling but this problem seems to stem from the polygroups, so i'm hoping there is an ulterior solution.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for hosting such a great resource for those interested in game art!

Replies

• praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZMapper is a better option- also I would strongly recommend downloading XNormal- google it- which is a free to use map baking tool with a ton of options, and I've found it much more relaible and easy to configure than ZMapper. ZBrush's "normal map" button doesn't get much of a look in these days. Give XNormal a whirl and see what the results between your hi res and low res are.

Are the seams where the mesh itself split, or just where you have ZB polygroups?

~P~
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praxedes wrote: »
    ZMapper is a better option- also I would strongly recommend downloading XNormal- google it- which is a free to use map baking tool with a ton of options, and I've found it much more relaible and easy to configure than ZMapper. ZBrush's "normal map" button doesn't get much of a look in these days. Give XNormal a whirl and see what the results between your hi res and low res are.

Are the seams where the mesh itself split, or just where you have ZB polygroups?

~P~

I'll try xnormal, I've heard some about it, hopefully it doesn't have a problem with the AUVtiling system, laying out UV's in my opinion is the hardest aspect of 3d modelling.

Also, when i export the low poly with poly groups on, yeah, the mesh is split in each section, and i just do a select all-> combine in Maya, then scale it down an apply the texture, but i also tried this with the model all in 1 poly group, (it imported into Maya as 1 mesh) but i still had the same seams.