Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Asylum Scene

Stoy
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Stoy polycounter lvl 13
I'm throwing myself into making something I found on talkurbex ,in the abandoned madhouse asylum section, for my portfolio. Put the image plane on a camera and screwed with it until the proportions were right and did the block in. The medicine cabinet thingy and radiator are high poly, but the rest is just blockout. Did a render with some sun and sky settings with mental ray just to get a clue on how it would look with some lights. Right now I've also got an area light pointing in the entirely wrong direction just to light up the scene for the render.

I'm thinking I want to keep the angle of the original shot and camera I have now, but take some artistic liberties when it comes to texture and what not. No clue how I'm going to do the lighting yet seeing as though the original ref photo is an HDR and I'm not that educated in lighting.

Any hints, tips and crits?

Also; sorry if the 9.6mb gif is a little much, but I already made it so I thought it wouldn't hurt.

For clarification: color image is an HDR reference photo and NOT my render. In case my explanation isn't obvious enough.

asylum.gif

Replies

• javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    It looks pretty good so far, could you provide a link to a non-gif version of the final image?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is this suppose to be real-time? (In game?)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the render.
  • Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    Oh wow, I think I was a little tired when I posted this yesterday. The image you see in the beginning of the gif is NOT my render. It's the actual image. I wrote this on another forum and rewrote a few things when I brought it over here. Not sure that's what anyone thought, but I might as well clarify that right now. My images are just the wireframe and the light test render with no color and I wasn't intentionally trying to pull a fast one over on anyone, even though when I reread the post iit might just be my paranoia acting up. In any case.

The actual image is here.

Adam: I'm planning on making this with game resolution textures and tris count, yeah. I don't do production quality stuff, really.
  • Gabriel Fors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gabriel Fors polycounter lvl 8
    Uhm. You did read the bit where he said this was basically a blockout, right? That's not a render, that's his reference.

Looking good so far. It'll be interesting seeing this come together.