Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steel Hawk

steel_hawk_large.jpg

Contribution : Modeling & Texturing
Software Used : Maya 2009, Digital Fusion & Photoshop
Project done for : Self , Inspired by concept art i found on net... : )

i worked on modeling & texturing in this .... I'll be happy to get as much comments and ctitics as I can.. Thx : )

wireframe render :

steel_hawk_1_large.jpg

Replies

• Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like this is based on concept art by Feng Zhu. You should probably make that clear if you didn't know.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the render on this one!
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig the hexagonal lattice in the texture. Great job. You really did the concept justice, I'd say.
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey this looks very cool.
    I'd like to hear more about the background of it.
    What should it represent?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm actually going to rag on the hexagonal texture :P. Things like that are fine in moderation, or when a bit more subtle, but it can really scream "hey i didn't want to spend figuring out what to cover my asset with" if it's covering the whole thing. Other than that the mouth looks a little too simple.

Color looks great though, good harmony and not every day we see a brown tech piece :D. Extra points for originality!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I'm with crazyfingers on this one. It's a bit overdone, looks great a larger forms but i'd try and break it up. Otherwise, fantastic job on the modeling and render. As far as game ready assets go, wayy to high poly ;)
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool but get rid of the hexagon pattern or rework it.. the pattern continues over the boarders in the model and isnt folowing the shapes at all. for me it looks like you have just smashed in the pattern as an overlay or something right ontop of your diffuse map. and i wouldnt say that works, only destroys your otherwise nice work. post a picture of your diffuse

cheers
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    the only place the hexagons really bother me where they have a much larger pixel ratio. I feel like that kind of thing needs to be uniform. Also like others are saying, it might be good to limit its use a bit to either just the larger forms. or just the smaller forms.

Also it might be good to revise the edge flow around the mouth a bit, maybe get some really clean bevels in there so the rim of the mouth is more defined, spec hits it nicer etc. right now it looks a bit like some bent sheet metal, and not a high tech machined piece of armor.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As with other posters, the hexes are a little overdone on this dude- Feng worked on some stargate ride stuff for MGM and I think this must be from that. Have you considered baking the hexes into the normal as well, so they work ore like little plates with edges?

Cool stuff!

~P~