Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Website Layout, crits please

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hello friends.

Some jerk attacked my website host and the portfolio is down as a result. Oddly enough at the same time I was designing a new layout anyway. Here are some jpgs of the new layout as I don't have the website functioning yet.

The design goals are:

- Idiot proof layout
- Pure html (no fancy animations, no plugins needed)
- Muted minimalist background that focuses on the art, not the site.

So basically the feedback I'm looking for is - Does it look easy to navigate?

I know it's hard to tell just from jpegs and not a functioning site but ... I'll take what I can get. Thanks in advance!!

templatesplash.jpg
I know people hate splash pages but this one has a function! Choose between 2D and 3D gallery, or download the resume. Also each tab has a rollover state, the pic turns dark and the words 3D/2D/contact appear on them.

templategallery.jpg
This is the 3D gallery but the 2D will also share the exact same template. The only thing that will change are the thumbnails. Also, each thumnail has its own set of jpegs for the user to flip through (wireframes/maps/render passes, etc)

Replies

• chademond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, your idea here is great, thats the right approach to take, but I do have a few issues with your side.

1) I hate, hate horizontal thumbnails. Go Vertical IMO. Horizontal constricts your thumbnail space alot.

2) Color scheme. The Lime green on puke green isn't really appealing to the eyes. I would go for more desaturated colors such as greys/dark blue, black, whites, etc.. The first thing I say when I see your site shouldnt be "Wow thats really green", it should be "Wow , your work is awesome."

3)Look into using shadowbox for your gallery, keeps your website more simple. Thats just my opinion, I know some people hate using shadowbox.

You have the right idea tho, simple, straightforward. I would put your name and contact info right at the top of the page, people shouldnt have to look for it.

You can check out my site to see how I did mine, I went for a similar concept. www.chademond.com

Cheers!
  • MetKiller Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the splash screen, but you need to figure out a way to make the person viewing the website know that it is 2D/3D art or your resume. General rule of thumb is if you want to get hired, don't make your employer do ANY work to find out more about it. In fact, as I've heard many people in the industry say about their own sites, your site should be so easy to use and get information from that they could accidentally learn more about you.

As for displaying your work, if you have <10 images I'd just make them 640 x 480 or something even larger and just use that, no need for thumbnails.

Just make it simple is all I can say. If you don't have a lot, don't try to show off how you can make a pretty layout for your site and sacrifice functionality in the least bit.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Personally id stick with the first image you posted and make this your 3d and 2d section, just make the thumbnails bigger.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I really enjoy basic website, with strong color choices. "Simplicity is the strongest elegance"
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you everyone for your feedback so far!

@Chademond = I always though of it more as a split-pea soup kinda green. But I guess split-pea soup kinda looks like puke. I'd like to stay away from monochromatic colours as I find they lack personality. That, and I notice many 3D artists use a white/gray/black as a base colour for their site. While I realize that neutral shades help sell the art more, it also dulls the overall presentation. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want a certain balance of presentation vs. art. I hear what you're saying, however. I'll try some other muted colours as well. Thanks!

@ Metkiller Joe = That's how the splash screen looks at first glance, but they have rollover states with "2D/3D/Resume" right on there. Are you suggesting that it'd be better for the indications to be smack dab on there without having to be rolled over? Also, the reason I have such small thumbnails is because each thumbnail is designed to open it's own set of images in that big open space that the viewer can flip through. Click on another thumbnail and another set of images pertaining to that thumbnail opens up. Lemme know if you still strongly disagree with it, and I'll see what I can do.

Overall, I'm already starting to see how hard it can be to show what's designed from a pair of jpegs. I'm sounding like I'm trying to justify every single flaw you guys find even though I asked for your opinions.

But I once again thank you all for your input nonetheless. I'll get the site up and then get the final critique!