Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Mech

Hey everyone,

New to the site. I'm hoping to post more of my stuff later on.
For now, for a class project, we're asked to post our models and get critiques, so all critiques welcome

This is my mech vaguely based off a snowmobile. It's meant to be simple and flat.
It's part of a group project where that's the style of the "game" we're making.

Anywho, critique away!

15ek6tl.jpg

epjiwy.jpg

2crvzo6.jpg

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The design reminds me of Zone of the Enders a bit..

my only crit is that the silhouette from the front looks plain.. Maybe you could add a bit more to really make it stand out?

Other than that, i like the blade things, but the handle looks like it'd snap off if it was actually used :x

On the upper arms there are little slots running along them.. would be pretty badass if those blades somehow sheathed back in there?

Good luck! :D
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with atlus. The front sillohuette is looking blocky. You could stash the blads in an X shape or keep them in the arm. it looks like he can transform too. You would get a better torso sillhouette if you put the swords somwhere else.

Cool design though.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally with the above posters- sill is an issue. With my latest work, I started with a sill by modelling the blockout and switching the lights of in Maya (& on the keypad- dunno what Max's version would be) to get insta-sill. I recommend checking your sillhouette from front, side and 45's before getting too far into detailing, as that's what sells the model! Nice concept though- I like the "coiled spring" quality- good luck with progressing it!

~P~
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the style. Simple shapes and simple design = WIN.
  • kies.matt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for some reason when i saw the posed model holding the swords i thought swiss army knife
    but i like that
    its an interesting design
    good work
  • SiegeEvans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot everyone!
    I agree. It does look blocky now that you mention it. I'll try crossing the blades like Proxzee suggested. The only reason I didn't stash them in the slots on the arms were because I put those slots there so his arms could bend more. It does sound bad ass, though.
    I was eventually going to redesign him and rebuild him in my spare time (whenever that comes around), so I'll try to break up that blocky sillohette then!
    I also want to add a little more color to him too. Any suggestions on what kind of designs and/or colors?
  • aipash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aipash polycounter lvl 7
    Red and black FTW
  • SiegeEvans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aipash wrote: »
    Red and black FTW
    As overplayed as black and red are, that would look awesome on him. Might try that later.
    I was looking for colors that would contrast well with him. Same with designs, like on his arms, legs and body. I tried varied forms of white racing stripes, but it doesn't quite suit him.