Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GW1 Char Character 1st Game model WIP

harwin
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
harwin polycounter lvl 8
Hi below is my practice character I am working on to learn game modeling. Its currently about 8kish. Feel free to comment.
Char-character.jpg

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin good. Would be easier to crit if you showed some wires.
  • harwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harwin polycounter lvl 8
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice, but I think those feet have too many polys in them- likewise the rear facing "ankle" joint. Likewise your blades running up the arms are quite dense for such a small item- you might even get away with a double sided poly shape on those- and if you really wanted to push your luck, you could try an alpha and save tons of polys, depending on how much you want to keep to a poly limit (the ol' poly count v shaders debate...). Either way, there's savings to be made on the polys there. You could use them more effectively to improve the sillhouette profile around the chest and shoulders, which is currently a bit bland. Just a thought, and it is looking good!

Peace,

~P~
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Poly flow looks good to me, i'd reccomend just getting good at making things look kick ass, learning how to take polys out is easy.

This is quite good, the fur is amazing. I'd reccomend getting rid of the helmet and letting your fur work shine through, maybe even brighten up the head are a little bit to really draw attention to it. Your armor and cloth seems a little stale at the moment. your detailing can't be read too well from a distance and has too much static. Some folds on the cloth that read well at a distance would help a lot paired with toning down the high frequency details..

Some of the colors seem a bit flat, color burns here and there can go a long way to bring out some nice color ranges.

One last thing, i htink it's a lighting issue. A lot of your character is straight black, try putting a skylight in your scene at like 15% power, and cut your other lights accordingly. Might help kill some of those dark spots.

Little bit more work on this guy and he'll be kick ass. Great work on the anotomy (chest looks a little odd though)!
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    One thing the stuck out to me were his toes..he just seems to have extremely flat feet. Are they supposed to be like this? Like where do his toes bend? You need to give those toe-knuckles some shape or something.

2536613519_c2845743bf.jpg?v=0

Also, I dunno, I assume this dude is supposed to be tough. Maybe buff up the biceps a bit more, help him feel a little stronger?
  • harwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harwin polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the feedback will work on em. The concept he is based on is a muscular version but I decided to make him less muscular/fat version like a traditional sumo wrestler type but less extreme lol.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I like this, the character has a nice silhouette. aside from what has already been said, you should separate the color of his armor straps from the color of his "sleeves." I'm guessing from your normals that he does have straps holding his armor pieces on, but I just can't see them. Maybe make the straps more brown and darker, or change the color of the "sleeve" to something complimentary.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    charr are much more cat like in the facial features.
    yours looks like a rat/bear to me. I'm an avid GIILD WOARS playur, i know ma charr. ;)
    I'd say pump up the feline and lower the rodentness of his snout and give him some pecs and you'd have a winner.

check
    it
    out

nice texturing
  • harwin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harwin polycounter lvl 8
    Ah kk will take note, d00kie.

I am more of a casual GW player can't wait for GW2 :). Initially I wanted to do it like in the 3rd reference d00kie posted. In the end decided to do a variant of the GW1 version, the damaged crude armour looked more fun and interesting to me.

As I was modeling it someone suggested to me that he looks like a sumo wrestler and I could try making a fat version which I thought was a great idea instead of the usual bodybuilder muscles character everyone seems to love making. So he put on some weight.

When I look at it again he does look like rat rofl. Actually my initial plan was to make him look more like a stripped hyena. It can be hard to translate the look now but I will try my best.

I also made other changes like the smaller claws on his hands felt that it better if the claws are short so its easier for it to hold weapons.

As for the straps not sure if I understand but they are all below the armour.

Thanks again.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    As CrazyFingers said, please do something with your lighting. It almost looks like default viewport lights at the moment. It's hurting the presentation of what looks like a really nice character.