Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Textured Shield

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
oldtexture.jpg

Finally learned to texture. Can't say I'm completely happy with the result. I did a rough attempt at baking (not the proper way, simply by shading in photoshop). I did remove the gloss effect, however, and that is a step in the right direction.

384 faces is final count. I don't want to spend too much longer on this guy, as it's soon time to move on to bigger and better things. However, while I'm at the final learning steps of a complete model, what things might really help make this render a bit nicer?

Lighting tips? I hear some talk of a normal map/bump map, some such things? Are these relevant to my interests in regards to producing a cleaner render?

Any suggestions are always appreciated, thanks for your time :)

TLDR: be SPECIFIC when you call me a noob.

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could always hop over to the technical forums and download a copy of the marmoset engine.. that awesome program usually spits out decent renders :)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a good little exercise to get more familiar with texturing. Was this based off of a concept or were you just goin' with the flow?

I would probably move on to something simple just to get more comfortable with everything and get some insight from the community.

Keep workin at it. :)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt wrote: »
    Looks like a good little exercise to get more familiar with texturing. Was this based off of a concept or were you just goin' with the flow?

I would probably move on to something simple just to get more comfortable with everything and get some insight from the community.

Keep workin at it. :)

thanks. ya this was modeled from one of my "classroom doodles."
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if youre learning to texture, you should try to stick to making real world objects, or at least something thats somewhat grounded in real life.

if you make something that has no comparison in the real world then you cant compare it to anything and you wont really know if you did a good or bad job texturing.

im not saying stick to realism, but at least something that is grounded in reality.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's an interesting thought, i never really saw of it that way. how i see it, i'm simply taking them piece by piece. (i.e. core is stone, horns are...horn)

it does make it harder to bake them i suppose, how shadow of one might affect the other, etc. it's just, i have very little interest in modeling reality =P. i s'pose i should learn the right way though...