Google plans to help news agencies by charging for news

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    good
    gravy
    i can't really believe that people will start paying for the news again. people who get the paper get it because they either don't have access to the internet, or do have access, but still love the tradition of reading the paper on paper. this just seems like it would open a whole can of worms. if they charge for premium content to subscribers, then there will be a mob of people that want it for free because it has been free for so long.... they already pay for the internet, why should they pay for the news.... micropayment or not, that'll add up in a hurry i'm sure.... the list could go on and on and on for people getting really bent about this.... i'm on the fence with my head hung low... *sigh*

if worse comes to worse, we still got Vig... a good reliable source of news anyway... unless he goes Google checkout on us :P

still haven't read all those links... some are faulty, but i'm just... i dunno what to say... arms are in the air
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    premium content can go and suck duck dick.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Mixed feelings about this. On one hand, i hate for information to have to cost something.

On the other hand free news has turned into a joke. Anything that can bring a positive change to journalism i'm all for, we need it, badly.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't know what's going on as it is, I'm not going to start paying for it.

almost every 'news' site as it is are full of bullshit and advertisements pretending to be stories anyway.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i can see a lot of google news scraper services popping up