Home Technical Talk

Portfolio Organization Questions

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
hampions Online is out now, so I have a decent bit of stuff that I can finally show. I'm planning to update my portfolio soon, but I'm not sure how much to include, or how to organize it exactly.

So, I'd like your opinions. Since I've worked on a good variety of environments, should I make separate groups of images (5 or so per environment), all under a "Champions Online" header?

Or is that overboard, and I should just keep 5 shots total from champions, each showing a totally different environment?

It's been so long since I've updated my site, that I'm a little worried that I'll find myself wanting to put everything I did up, but that's obviously not good. Just not sure how far to limit it.

Opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    5 shots total I'd say. Maybe 5 of your best art, 5 lighting, 5 whatever, etc. A smorgasbord of screens can be overwhelming sometimes I'd say.

Get that stuff up Nick! Can't wait to see it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea careful how much you pack into collage shots. It's hard to get a good sense of detail when things are packed together or scaled to fit.

Maybe one big over the top shot with a lot of stuff in it just to reinforce how much work you've put in? But not a necessary piece and only in addition to your more detailed shots.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    less is often more,- what always matters with a portfolio is the impression - not the mass. You could organize somewhere else (not on the portfolio) all your stuff in a catalog but more for yourself or close friends to show progression and specifics (like a blog, thats also usually rather personal and not interesting to everyone or interesting in a professional communication)

maybe you can catch some nice shots that capture a scene or environment: complete, with variety and nice composition,- thats usually always a winner.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, that's what I figured, but I needed it all to be reinforced so I could properly suppress the part of my brain that keeps saying, "But then they won't see THIS cool thing!"

Thanks guys
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I know that very well,- its hard to let loose of all the stuff one did but in the end its really all about impression - the first overall impression.
    And you can better impress with lets say just 10 pieces or images instead of 40 pieces because with less pieces there is a higher probability 2 or 3 will be remembered which is good then. With lots of pieces there is a high probability nothing will be remembered, seriously.

Also its way more fun looking at a portfolio which is slick, compact and with great content to watch. Anything with sub-hierarchies or xtra steps to click is an annoyance and will simply not stick out with all the bad portfolios available. Extreme Simplicity = Win!!!