Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RVX-9 Futuristic Rifle

Started doodling around in high poly and ended up with some kind of weapon. Made a lowpoly for it, baked normals and made an texture.

Anyways, heres the gun. Hope you like it, please comment on things you think looks off. Namned the bastard RVX-9.

Highpoly and lowpoly made in Maya. Normal and occlusion bakes made with XNormal, textures in PS. Rendered in Marmoset Engine.

pres.jpg

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Looks tight, I'd be curious to see this as just a pistol. Might look cool, 2 props for the price of one.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The picture is so tiny I can't even see anything.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, if this is meant to be a first-person weapon we should at least see it at a first-person type of resolution.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    the whole gun looks well executed, the presetation could be better. specially the images are pretty small :/
    the normal map doesnt seem to have much detail either that would jsutify a 2k map.
    you could do the same with a 1k map just as good

*gun-nut-mode*

the overall rifle looks very fragile and flimsy. especially the stock, it looks like it could snape just by lookin at it.

the magazine are relatively thin if id set it to scale with the barrel diameter, ok could be a tiny/thin caliber (needles??).
    respectively the muzzlehole would have to be smaller, as the exiting bullet´s flash would exit out of the suppressor/silencer instead of being captured inside of it.

the 2nd big weakness is the position of the scope.
    you could nowhere comfartably aim with that thing.
    if youd rest your cheek on the stock you could only look over it, or in an angle into the scope which would render it useless.
    the minimum distance between the scopes optical center and the stock/cheek rest is the same as the space between a human eye´s pupil and his own cheek,

*gun-nut-mode*
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the small pictures, didn't realise that they were so small :p

Here are som new, bigger ones.

RVX-9.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could imagine this weapon breaking apart into a set of easily concealed pieces- like the one at the end of Day of the Jackal :)

I agree with waldo, though- I cannot imagine seeing through that scope very easily due to it eing so low- adding a spacer bracket would really help there!

Good work!

~P~
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    the whole gun looks well executed, the presetation could be better. specially the images are pretty small :/
    the normal map doesnt seem to have much detail either that would jsutify a 2k map.
    you could do the same with a 1k map just as good

*gun-nut-mode*

the overall rifle looks very fragile and flimsy. especially the stock, it looks like it could snape just by lookin at it.

the magazine are relatively thin if id set it to scale with the barrel diameter, ok could be a tiny/thin caliber (needles??).
    respectively the muzzlehole would have to be smaller, as the exiting bullet´s flash would exit out of the suppressor/silencer instead of being captured inside of it.

the 2nd big weakness is the position of the scope.
    you could nowhere comfartably aim with that thing.
    if youd rest your cheek on the stock you could only look over it, or in an angle into the scope which would render it useless.
    the minimum distance between the scopes optical center and the stock/cheek rest is the same as the space between a human eye´s pupil and his own cheek,

*gun-nut-mode*

Thanks for crits. Im not much of a gun nut myself so you had alot of good points. The magazine i knew was quite thin, but when i realised it it was to late to change it.

I have downsized the textures to 1024 instead of 2048 and you were right, not much differance.

Will have the other crits in mind for the next time.