Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Outpost guard..

Hi there! Complements on the great forum here.
This is actually my first post here, so here I go...

This is my own interpertation of a space marine like character.
I designed and created this character because of two reasons. One as a fulltime game producer I don’t have time to create graphics myself. As a former 3D game environmental and cinematic artist I sometimes miss it a little, It is also a good way to keep my knowledge of 3d graphics up-to-date. This is why I created this 3D illustration in my free time.
Body, Armor and weapon all are modeled in 3d max 2009, the face details were done in zbrush. Textures done with PS CS3. I hope you like it, but also if you have any critique on it please don’t hesitate.. :\

guard.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, awesome stuff. I hope you don't mind but I passed it around to the entire DoW2 team :thumbup:
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    It's great to see someone in production having and keeping their art skills sharp, the world would be a better place with more production staff like that!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    That is beautiful man, really. Not that I'd say anything negative, cause your name is keyser soze, and no one fucks with keyser soze. XD

Great work.
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His boots are still dry after climbing a snowy mountain? Looks really good though.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    looks awesome!

If I had to crit, I would say the darker blue of the mountain (on the right) blends in with the marine's armor and makes his silhouette harder to read.

Fantastic work on the textures. Real inspiring stuff.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty kick ass man, I`d be lying if I said I didnt want to see under the hood a bit. a High poly, flat material render would be sweet!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great final rendering! Nice treatment.

I too would love to see some wires and things.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    fantastic

only thing I would say is that the ribbon on his leg is too clean and perfect where the rest of him seems to have a nice amount of grunge love so the ribbon becomes the focal point since its super clean and creates a really harsh contrast with the white background where the marine almost blends in with all the blue tones in the mountains.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I agree with autocon. that ribbon stands out way too much. but man, BAD ASS! i love this pic.
  • KeysersozeCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Thx on the replies.
    To adam: Sure no problem I think it's a honor :) Is there anyway i could get feedback from those guys aswell hehe? that would be really great ! ;)

About the feedback...
    I agree the blue in the background does blend with the marine a bit. I'll add some more Fog in the background that should at some contrast between the two.
    About the ribbon, it is a bit to clear indeed, ill will tone it down a bit later.
    I tried to add snow on the boots. but It was really hard to get it realistic even when I used PS.
    so I gave up on it ;)

I'll put online some earlier 'work in progress' renders lateron (without texture etc)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man first of all thanks for posting this great take on the space marine! only critic for you would be that inspite of how awesome the snow partially covering the foot is i feel that snow that was only a few inches deep on a rocky terrain would not be drifting on the foot unless he had been standing there for a looong time, <Tangent!>>i always wondered about that tho...if their armors power source runs out how do they get out?

-Woog
  • torontoanimator
    dear god....thats a model? i thought it was just the concept art at first O_O you sir are epic, no other way to describe it
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool model!
    I would love to see some snow/ice on him and some wet areas.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Random feedback I heard was its too much of a mix of different influences: Starcraft + Gears + WH40k doesn't exactly equate to a new Spacemarine design.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Really awesome!! Agree with them with the backgroumd thingy.. And maybe you can post the wires and some texture flats.. :thumbup:
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow. That's really awesome. Not for a producer or whatever, but just simply plain great!
    And for a producer i think it just has to be obligatory to know what the people are going through once you give your orders. I think, that really shows that you respect them.

i don't have people like that at where I work, so thanks for clearing out that there actually are such.) good day to you. And keep the art pumping!)
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Wouldn't have guessed it was even a model - except for looking more closely at the gun! :polytwitch:

No crits other than the spaceship leaving the trail behind his head looks a little last minute compared to them detail of the rest of the piece.
    adam wrote: »
    Random feedback I heard was its too much of a mix of different influences: Starcraft + Gears + WH40k doesn't exactly equate to a new Spacemarine design.

Looks like a very old style terminator ( back in the day when GW hadn't quite got a grasp on plastics - thinking Space Crusade era )

More purity seals!
  • KeysersozeCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally Posted by adam

It was never my intention to create a new space marine design for the WH40K universe. I wanted to create a futuristic soldier based on some principles the space marines also use, (like plate armor and an open masks for breathing in non oxygen environments). I’ve been inspired mostly by ‘fantasy like’ knights and combine those with some of the sci-fi elements used in WH40k.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome space marine, I like the Feel of the picture.
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks fantastic, i really like the elegant designs on the armour. apart from the red the colour tones are great too, well done!
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    This guy looks very nice, I like his armor which looks really Gears of War like.
  • KeysersozeCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some early and late work in progress renders from the marine project

wip.jpg
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    In Soviet Russia, Space Marine models you!

Absolute asskickery. Love the terrain as well as the focal piece.

As for snow on his boots, I think it was afraid to stick.