Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

first mudbox sculpt - crits requested

melkior
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
melkior polycounter lvl 18
Hello friends,

Well I finally got my feet wet in the mudbox / zbrush style work. I purchased mudbox about 4 months ago and finally have had time to play with it for the last 4 days.

I did some learning experiments and followed a few tutorials online, and decided to go ahead and try my first full bust sculpt of a character concept.

My system is WinXP 32 bit at 2GB ram so I'm starting to hit some out of memory errors where he is. I did not get into the hyper detailed flesh bump stuff as that would have required further subdivisions.

What I'm looking for are style and form critiques. What common mistakes of new sculpters do you see me making? Anything else that comes to mind is fine too.

He has an ambient occlusion map at this time but no specularity - it made him way too shiny in the view port. These are just screengrabs not renders.

I have relocated near Seattle, WA and the art / modeling jobs in this area seem to be the 'technical artist' types that want a lot of Zbrush or Mudbox, so I am looking to ramp my skills up quickly.

Thanks in advance for any tips & crits!
ckminoshots1.jpg

melkior

Replies

• ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, that minotaur looks awesome, good work!

I've been sculpting for a little shorter then you have. i can't really spot anything that looks wrong with it.
    The horns don't look like any animal horns i've seen before, but there isn't anything wrong with that they still look realistic.

Whats the polycount? And what did you use as a basemesh/zsphere(s)?
  • MetKiller Joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the sculpt. If I could say anything is that the mouth could use more fleshing out, and that a lot of detail is concentrated around where the horns meet the flesh. So, if I'm seeing it correctly, the resolution would also be high enough to give the minotaur some bumps and bruises and even some stubble; nothing too minute, but right now, it looks somewhat flat.

My two cents, but I'm also new to it.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ngs616 wrote: »
    Hello, that minotaur looks awesome, good work!

I've been sculpting for a little shorter then you have. i can't really spot anything that looks wrong with it.
    The horns don't look like any animal horns i've seen before, but there isn't anything wrong with that they still look realistic.

Whats the polycount? And what did you use as a basemesh/zsphere(s)?

Hey thanks for the compliments!

I used a 'human head' prefab that comes with mudbox. Its a very low poly starting block you can do sculpts from.

I had problems with the horns honestly, they have pretty messy geometry when you look at the mesh.

Its high poly version is 2 million polys. Its lowest is 8000. I was able to optimize a version you could bake normals in max down to about 1000 before it started getting wonky. Otherwise if I wanted to bake this into a truly low poly mesh I would have to model it by hand, wouldnt be too hard im sure.

peace.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I just installed win7 RC and was going to install 64 bit mudbox to get better RAM usage, turns out my MB doesnt support Win7 so good and after 9 memory dumps I reinstalled winxp. 10 hours of productivity lost .. I was hoping to tune this guy up some this weekend. I guess there is tomorrow.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Really, Melkior?? Weird. . . cause Mudbox works perfectly fine on my build of Windows 7. I'm running "7100" what were you trying to run?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not Mudbox's fault, its my Asus m3a-H/HDMI MB thats 2 years old thats the problem - doh!