Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Fantasy Shield

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
So here it is. It's not fully completed as of yet, just wanted to make sure I'm doing alright as far as poly distribution goes.

i have no idea what i'm doing, and have only followed the rule "use as few triangles as possible." which i don't really know why i follow.

anyway, 384 faces, any feedback on cleaning up polies or comments would be great:24239564.jpg

and i'll just post the other parts as links:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6755/28210863.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3623/23986023.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1148/25571025.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1012/12136706.jpg

Thanks guys

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    It looks pretty clean, the only thing I can say about it without knowing what poly-limits you're trying to put on yourself is that the horn-like things on the sides (best seen in the third linked image) are maybe a bit high poly. You could probably cut a few of the edges and keep the same silhouette.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    It looks pretty clean, the only thing I can say about it without knowing what poly-limits you're trying to put on yourself is that the horn-like things on the sides (best seen in the third linked image) are maybe a bit high poly. You could probably cut a few of the edges and keep the same silhouette.

will do, good tip
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    i have no idea what i'm doing

I suggest doodling a quick concept before modeling. The distribution looks alright, but it looks like you've got some normal reversed maybe... i think ctrl + n flips em in blender.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    I suggest doodling a quick concept before modeling. The distribution looks alright, but it looks like you've got some normal reversed maybe... i think ctrl + n flips em in blender.

yup, i was trying to figure out what was going on for a bit there. I just adjusted the model and finished up a bit. Here it is with colored meshes (lol)...time to learn how to texture. if anyone knows of a particularly useful tutorial for texturing in blender, would be greatly appreciated.
    lowpolyshieldfrontrende.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the use as few triangles as possible rule only aplies when you are going to subdivide and smooth the model. if its going to be low poly tris are fine and technicaly preferable
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    the use as few triangles as possible rule only aplies when you are going to subdivide and smooth the model. if its going to be low poly tris are fine and technicaly preferable

thanks for the heads up. that should make my life less stressful in the future.
  • torontoanimator
    hmm, i like that youre trying to do something different, but right now it just kinda looks like you have 2 or 3 different shields fused into one, and theyre not really meshing well together. I think you really need some sort of unifying concept to it, thats all :)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, i like that youre trying to do something different, but right now it just kinda looks like you have 2 or 3 different shields fused into one, and theyre not really meshing well together. I think you really need some sort of unifying concept to it, thats all :)

ya lol, even modeling it was a huge problem in that each segment was actually a little thicker than they are now. i had to sort of pancake it just to get it to feel more unified...and hopefully i can seal the deal with some textures.

but yes, i know what you mean XD