Home Technical Talk

ZSphere Problems: First Sphere Doesn't Integrate

I'm kinda new to using ZSpheres as I just upgraded my ZBrush to get back into it and I'm having some issues. When I create the first ZSphere of the model, it's cut in half and if I build something off of it, the preview mesh is completely fine except when it hits that section. Any sphere connected to that first one just completely ignores it and awkwardly attached itself to it. I know this is probably an obvious answer but can someone help me out with what's going on here? Thanks. :)

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Well, how many spheres do you connect to the original? IIRC there needs to be at least 3, though it may be 2.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, just attach another ZSphere on the "other side" of the root ZSphere, that should fix it only generating half a mesh there.
  • uneditablepoly
    I have about 8 coming off of it. It's not that it's half of a zsphere. It's just not integrated at all woth the others. Here's a pic:

zsphereproblem.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dohn't use the root sphere to sculpt from- it is the anchor for the sculpt. You need a sphere capping each end of it, as MoP said. If you don't, the mesh isn't solid.-

spheres.jpg

Hopefully this helps ;)

~P~
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, actually, maybe you need to edit your Adaptive Skin settings to fix this.
    Try turning on various buttons in there like "Minimal child to parent" or just changing the "Intersection Resolution" value (IRes slider).
  • uneditablepoly
    I messed with the settings and the IRes seemed to help a little but it doesn't look like the mesh you'd want that zsphere model to look like. To praxedes, I sort of understand what you're saying but I don't see how I'd create the same thing I made above without having the original zsphere as some part of the model. Could you elaborate?
  • uneditablepoly
    Ok, so I think I understand. If I were to make the same thing correctly, would I put the root sphere in a place where only two other spheres would be coming off of it? Is that the problem?

EDIT: I tried that but there are still huge problems coming off of the root sphere, even though there are only 2 spheres coming off of it, like your picture. There also seem to be some weird rotational things going on, as if the spheres aren't orientated correctly coming off of the first one.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    you're facing a problem with IRES and parent>child / child>parent nodes. (like MoP said) I'm not infront of ZB ATM, so I can not accurately describe this, but if you look in your adaptive skin settings, you can select a parent>child option which dictates mesh resolution to the children, or to the parent (root) or vice versa... in turn, you would need to find the best setting with IRES to create the base mesh that's workable. Keep in mind, although ZSpheres are amazingly powerful on a number of levels, they are only meant as a starting point. You will have to manually manipulate the mesh result to get a better base to begin sculpting. You mention that it is not what you would want/expect a ZSphere model to look like. You may be referring to the WIP images you have seen other people post of their ZSphere base models, in which case, 99.9% of them have all been manipulated after an simple adaptive skin was created for them to work with. Now this of course looks as though it will soon be a thing of the past with ZSpheres2 approaching.

It doesn't appear that you have any open caps, so what praxedes posted may be slightly misleading to your current problem, although his description is an accurate way to being building your zspheres.
  • uneditablepoly
    alright thanks for the advice guys, really helpful :)
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oop- apologies if I led you in the wrong direction there :(

~P~
  • uneditablepoly
    No problem. Just grabbed 3.5 and the new ZSpheres aren't posing me any problems at all. Looks like I ran here for help just too early haha. So happy with the new update.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    weird i just got the upgrade and my zspheres are workin better than ever, even the old fashioned adaptive skin works like magic now,, yay no more jumpint thru hoops to make hands, they just work!! in fact in 3.5 for me all the ires and mbr an such are greyed out, i have to click "use classic skinning" to get them to show up,, and since classic was crappsic i'm not doing that, are you sure you are not using classic skinning?

dummybutton.jpg