Home Technical Talk

Z brush, any good tutorials on it

Hay everyone, first off I want to say thanks for any help I may get for my question and hope to return the favor someday

Basically I have been messing around with Z brush recently and was wondering if there was a good source of information on how to use it, I learned a few things but a good information reference would be a god send,

Like how do I handle importation of meshes into it and what should I keep in mind with making a model in Maya that I plan to import into it to make a normal map

Thanks again and appreciate any help I may get

Replies

• Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Zbrush character Creation, Advanced digital scultping' by scott spencer is a great book for learning character work in Zbrush. He touches base with maya, and goes normal mapping and more.
  • Harryscary276
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks pretty cool but a little problem

I do environments and assets, the closest thing to characters I do maybe a robot here and there when I want to do something different

Sorry should have specified that is my fault

thanks though will look into it all the same, anything to expand my knowledge is all good no matter how it does it
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Neavah wrote: »
    'Zbrush character Creation, Advanced digital scultping' by scott spencer is a great book for learning character work in Zbrush. He touches base with maya, and goes normal mapping and more.

That's the one with the horned, wide-nosed, blotchy-skinned alien on the cover with a black background, right? If so, it's excellent.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is the one, and it is excellent :)

f you have the money, then escape studios do a very good zbrush online training video set for about £100 which is around 25 hours of zb training that focuses on creating architectural features (a middle eastern medieval period column and flooring) for a good chunk of the videos. It also covers projection mapping for texturing and detail sculpting, and although it uses a male head sculpt as the example, all of the techniques apply to environmental work too. The vid interface also has a "questions" section which works like a message board if you want further clarification on something, and is reviewed by their teaching staff.

It is quite a lot of money but I do recommend it! I took the plunge and it really kickstarted my zb understanding

~P~
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

Some decent tutorials, covering many aspects
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I dont know about tutorials, I never seem to learn much with them and they create a too high expectation of what I should be doing with the software. They are good for cutting out the confusion of the software though, as in it has hundreds of options and buttons which one do I use?, and then you find out the artist only uses about five or six of them.

Best way (in my opinion) is to experiment, find something simple to create, and look up in the manual, or ask in forums for stuff that might confuse you. And dont worry about the errors to start with.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks pretty cool but a little problem

I do environments and assets, the closest thing to characters I do maybe a robot here and there when I want to do something different

I have the book as well and thought the same thing when I first got it. But the methods in the book, although applied to characters, tend to just be general sculpting techniques which can be applied to any bit of game art. Not to mention it covers zBrush very well and shows you how to apply the various tools to get the desired results.

I'd say go ahead and get the book. At the very least you'll learn the interface and tools fairly well as well as pick up some pretty good general sculpting info.