Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Time Modeler. Looking for help and feedback

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Ok, so this has been my first week modeling, and I'm having a lot of fun. I am, however, also really frustrating myself. I realized I started completely backwards, from seeing a quick tutorial on Blender sculpting, and began working with high poly sculpting before I even learned basic shapes.

What I did for this first attempt was start with a cube, apply many layers of multires, and subdivided locally when i started running out of polygons. The result is pretty messy, and it shows in the ear especially:
demonxv.jpg
demon2.jpg

the result is alright, but i'm not going to go back to touch him up any more. after that, i basically did the exact same thing on this next character:
oldman3k.jpg

same problems i would assume, as i didn't change anything from the first one. i understand this shows pretty bad distribution of polygons, especially in the nose.

after that, i saw i wasn't getting anywhere, and have since been trying to learn basic theory in establishing meshes.

From what I've found, a very common must have is the use of edge-loops (which i understand to be a circle of planes surrounding an area that will be very active in an animation).

the second thing that is insisted upon is avoiding the use of triangles. i have since taken a look at a few World of Warcraft models...to examine what I consider to a professional distribution, and have found that they essentially ONLY use triangles in their meshes.

Here is an example of the higher mesh character (blood elf), whose polygon count doubles the older characters.
bloodelf.jpg

so that threw off my previous concept of what a healthy poly distribution might look like. i however know warcraft to run with very smooth animations, and great performance for the level of detail. so i'd like to know what makes this a good model, and where i could find more tutorials on the different reasons behind different methods.

i mean essentially any information provided would be greatly appreciated