Home Technical Talk

cube map for skybox (UT2004), Help needed plz.

armagon9177
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
hello,

i've been working on a 100% custom, meshes, textures etc. map for Unreal Tournament 2004. things are going extremely well on it. when i decided to tackle my skybox i took a look at some of the other maps in particular CTF- Face 3 as it has the general effect i am going for.

i'm not 100 percent on how this was achieved but the material for the subtracted BSP for the skybox is curved perfectly as to allow a perfect perspective from the location of the SkyZoneInfo actor. the material/texture bends correctly and i am seeing a set of 6 DXT5 materials in the texture browser there. does anyone know how this was achieved? how the source art was distorted perfectly for that specific perspective? the horizon and the planet curve looking at the material in the texture browser.

i would really like to know the workflow to this. i have max and photoshop. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thankyou.

edit* equirectangular projection is what it's called. apparently cameras need to be set up for each texture in max and the perspective you want. though the process is still unclear to me, so i would still appreciate anyone who has experience with this weighing in.

Replies