Home Technical Talk

Cutting your Mesh / Texturing

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TheBat polycounter lvl 10
Heya! I've been trawling around this forum for a few days now, lots of interesting posts around! I was wondering about the following subject. Say i would want to model something like the image below. What would be the best way to split up my mesh and laying out the coordinates so i get the best relationm between texture resolution and polygons? A larger part would mean less polygons, but less texture space for the surface as well.

I just did some quick paintover using different colours (the paintovers could be seperate parts on my texture) and was wondering what other peoples approach would be to modelling / laying textures out for a project like this.

2w4zmm0.jpg

Another option would of course be that i split up all textures into separate files, so i can tile them. This model would be used in a game engine, and the model is being split for every different file (/texture) the model is using. This would mean that there will be a lot of different meshes in the game engine, this seems rather inefficient to me? (also because there will be extra verts where the mesh is split up).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts, hope i explained it clear. Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

TheBat