Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P HP Rabargh Gun

A HP modell of the trasgressorgun concept by Vitaly Bulgarov. Any critique on it? I've laid down most of the support edges. Concept can be found here : http://www.bulgarov.com/gun_concept.html . I had to skip a few details because we had week to make it, so dont worry about like bigger shapes being off.

Also, usable for portofolio? I know it's a nono to modell something when there already is a wireframe online. I did however not look at that.

ivars.jpg

ivars2.jpg

Apologies for the picture being a bit blurry, trying to work out how to make it sharpen in the maya mentalray render thingy

Replies

• W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Looks really nice :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Could you give us a render that is less white, and shows the forms better?

The light currently flattens out the forms too much to be able to see whats going on :).

Looks good otherwise.
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz will do!, give me a few though, taking some breakdown shots for other models i've made so i'll get back to it asap :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    yeah it looks good but when you get some different lighting in there i think you'll get some better crit, and mess with the material too so it shows off the details as well as possible with some nice specular highlights. looks damn solid though man.

as for the render in mental ray, there's a few things. for me, personally, i can't stand to wait around for renders and when i just want to get something out there for crit, i'll typically set my min samp to -1 and max samp. to 1, use a low anti-aliasing contrast of .001 and a filter for triangle, then set my render to a high res of 2400 or 2800 and render that. most of the time, unless you are printing it, you really don't need anything higher since you will be scaling it down for web view, and when you do scale it down, it will smooth out fairly well... now that's if you just want something quick to get the point across.

if you want something really damn clean and accurate... keep a high resolution... make your min samp. 0 and max sample 2, low anti-aliasing contrast, mitchell filtering, and jitter selected. this will take a good while longer to render, but it is smooth as a baby's ass.

also, just make sure you save out as tga from MR to avoid any compression of your image from the renderer.... and make sure you got a machine that can render it... if you don't have enough ram, you may not be able to render at those settings.

anyway, looking forward to seeing some different views and lighting :)
  • Akkiras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing I see at the moment is that the handle is too wide, the finger grip indents go too far back into the handle. Other than that it is looking great, can't wait to see more :)
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render1e.jpg

render2v.jpg

It's not a smooth as a baby's ass but it's more of a preview, i'll pop up the samples later on anyway anything noticeable I should change in the mesh/ render?.

Thanks to Firebert for rendering tips, and here's the link to the tutorial i used to render it (with a mix of fireberts advice)l : http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/1317-tutorial-ambient-occlusion-maya-alchemist101.html

@ Akkiras : The handle may be a bit too wide, but it looks good compared to how I made the modell, resizing it now gives it a bit of a strange feel. so im gonna keep it as it is, and regarding the grip, im considering sculpting this HP later on so i'll try out a few stuff and see how it works thanks for crit!
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im rendering some HP modells right now, and I notice all my renders turn out a little blurry, any idea on how to make it sharper? I tried upping resolution but it barely helped.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Use the mitchell AA filter too sharpen your renders.
  • torontoanimator
    this is just brilliant dude! what kind of energy/ammo would this thing fire? because im picturing something like the UT link gun lol
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Torontoanimator, I think it's some sort of shotgun im not sure myself. You could check out the concept and see if u could make out what it shoots. It's inspired by weaponry from gears of war I think.

"edit"

Thanks Ark for the tip it helped ;)
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made new sharper renders, hope you guyize like it, Thanks to Firebert for giving me specialz helpz!! :D

highpolyrifle.jpg
  • torontoanimator
    i guess i could see it being a shot gun, but im gonna imagine radioactive energy shooting from it instead :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    these look much better for presenting the model man... good job! personally, i'd like to see some specular highlights on there, which you could just set up a specular shader with a black color and no AO texture, render that, and then screen it in photoshop to save on render time... but the quality is nice man! and the model looks damn good!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sick man, I can't wait to see this baked and textured. I don't care what it shoots, I don't want to be standing in the way!
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool man! is there function to its form? Also, your html page title says "Trasgressor"
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha maestro... Sorry about misspelling geeze dunno how i managed to miss that :D yes there is function to it's form, re-loader is beneath like a shotgun you pull it back to reload, and the clips is fastened underneath. So it does work I guess... ;D atleast it will in the future!!!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out great man! I cant see anything to crit atm, but Im sure you will fuck this one up soon enough, so dont worry, you'll get plenty of crit :)
  • HolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha!! aww you guys! thanks ALOT! :) Really makes me motivated, I wont be texturing this or baking it to a lowpoly anytime soon, currently working on my portfolio, I'll post it tomorow be sure to check it out!