Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Good progress Dave :) Here's how it's going on my side of things:

mutant001.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Classes are killing me, but I'm finally starting to put together a design document for the mod side of this project. My goal is to keep things small while still making the gameplay interesting and varied enough. You should be able to view it as I update it: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARiGulmLJBxzZGcyNjJtdjNfMGdyZjlucWQ5&hl=en

I've also been reworking a lot of stuff on the Bober warehouse, but I don't have much to show yet. Here's a pic of the redone windows though. (I blurred out unfinished parts that looks like crap. :) ) Does anyone know how to make a decal "wrap"? Parts of my outer walls have small extrusions and the decals just cover them up.

boberupdatedwindows-1.jpg

EDIT: Wow, we updated within minutes, haha. Looking good, that dude is buff! That's what secret experiments do to you I guess. :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Let's see whether we'll update at the same time again :P Here's a small mutant update:

mutant002.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no, I'm late! Just to prove I haven't dropped off of the face of the earth, here is the bathroom I'm working on for the first floor of the Bober warehouse/lab, and a shot of the WIP brick molding for the outside:

boberbathroomWIP.jpg

boberbrickmoldingwip.jpg
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    3DLee, I have only one word - awesome!

EmAr, I think you need to pay more close attention to anatomy - abdomen, chest, deltoid, collarbone, forearms... muscles is in places, but minor inconsistencies spoil the overall picture.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I like the tile texture. Maybe some tile pieces(probably decals) on the ground can make the bathroom better. You know, it's such a deserted building those tiles which have fallen off was not cleaned/picked up by anyone.

And here's a mutant update:

mutantbelt.jpg

mutantstitch.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    The feet look a little small to me, not long enough, could be just the angle though. And the canister on his mask is over powering his whole face, I would scale that back a bit.

The level is coming together nicely. looking forward to seeing it complete :)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was determined to get SOMETHING completed, so I knocked these simple cheap Soviet-era desks out yesterday. Although, to be honest, I still haven't done the physics proxy for them yet. :) I'm planning on doing a few other variants with different textures as well.

desks01.jpg
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you probably fitted the height to the windows but if i now imagine a chair infront of that table its a post apocalyptic little people proof appartement.
    Textures are looking good.
    The character needs a lot of work. The muscles are all too soft and round just like the
    shoulder arm transition and the pants also look weird.
    Using reference is probably the best advice i can give.
    Keep it up guys
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why I love Polycount, I didn't even notice how horribly screwed up my scale is... gahhh! Looking at the brick on that pillar, I have some serious tweaking to do. Thanks Disco Stu!
  • Tocxeig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very very nice work 3DLee
    can you post wireframe too ? i would like to see how you work
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I like the textures, but I feel the buildings could have a high to low poly baking. Everything has such sharp edges, it makes it all look very last generation.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    It's not necessarily high-to-low baking whats needed in here mate.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comment Disco stu, I'll try to make the muscles sharper/better-defined.

Brandoom, I was thinking the same thing when I saw these masks but the canister is really huge and I'm going for a direct interpretation:

3333169114_78894c2ab8.jpg

EDIT: Ok, sorry for the hasty post. I gave it a try and I think it looks better:

oldnewf.jpg

EDIT 2: Muscle update:

musclene.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I started the low poly today:

lowpolymutant.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The low poly is looking good, but I'm a character virgin so don't take that to the bank. :) The latest high poly looks great!

I've been working on the scale of my building, which has been frustrating because my 3ds Max file scale is way off of the in-game scale. I modeled it using the Max grid not realizing that I was modeling it 2x larger than I should have. For now, I'm resizing it in the CryEngine Sandbox editor so I can keep it aligned with the 3ds Max grid as I work on it. I'm going to scale it in Max when I finish, but it's making it tough to work with.

I went back to my reference, and I realized I had a few problems:

• I still hadn't scaled the building down enough in the editor
    • The outer windows and doors to my reference building are much larger than the interior doors. Not realizing this, I modeled the interior doors to match, making the inside scale way off.
    So, I scaled the entire building down slightly, and then I also scaled the inside door frames down while leaving the exterior doors and windows the same, as they do appear to be very large in my ref: http://www.davelee3d.com/transfer/Bober.zip

What do you guys think?

finalscalefix.jpg

finalscalefix2.jpg
    (that white pillar is a Crytek prop for reference)

@Tocxeig, sure thing; although my workflow is still kind of messy. I've been out of practice in game art for years, so now I find myself a bit behind heh. I need to plan ahead a little better in my modeling. Anyway, here are some quick wires:

boberfebwires01.jpg

boberfebwires02.jpg

deskwires02.jpg

@Sirdelita, I agree that I have some sharp edges. I'm chamfuring the most noticeable edges later and I do have more detailed gemoetry coming for some areas like the outer brick corners of the building. Part of the problem is I'm referencing a lot of last-gen work in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and the other (bigger) problem is a lot of this is still pretty new to me after doing only RTS work before. :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Some texture work with some quick skinning:

mutantscar.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've created our first artifact: The Flame Artifact! This is already animated as well, but I'm having issues getting the animation to work ingame. Does anyone know of good tutorials? I have the animation exported to the correct file format, but placing the Flame as a Geometric Entity doesn't play the animation.

artifactflame01_s.jpg

artifactflame02_s.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a character update as well :)

2q1779g.jpg

Dave, I don't know much about animation stuff but probably it would be easier to help if you mention what type of animation we are talking about here. Animated mesh or animated textures or something else?
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    It's getting better and better. I really like the flesh parts.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flame animation is just an animated mesh. The model is 3 spheres inside of each other with the same texture on them, but different colors and glows in the CryEngine material editor. The animation is pretty simple, it just has the artifact bounce around and spin a little. Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to make the object project dynamic light? For the screenshots, I lit them manually.

Here are the files if anyone wants to take a look. :)

http://www.davelee3d.com/transfer/FlameArtifact.7z

Edit: The texture is looking great! The updates to the flash wounds look much better. The blood may be too red though - blood dries pretty quickly to a very dark red. I kind of miss the paler skin too; it made him look sick or diseased haha.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work you two, it's really shaping up.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18

f0yzxu.jpg

5vxjm0.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last shot could be right out of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. :)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been really pushing to get this Bober warehouse building finished this week. I'm much more satisified with how it is now. Many thanks once agaon to Buddy for his extremely helpful paint-over! :)

There are still a few changes that I want to make:

- Fix flickering and hard edges issues on some of the decals placed in 3ds Max
    - Add more generic props like bookshelves
    - Create several props for the bathroom that I can easily re-use

To start off, here are a couple of chairs I did:

chairs.jpg

3ds Max viewport with polycount:

bober_afmax01.jpg

And here are new wires for the building:

boberwires_af01.jpg

boberwires_af02.jpg

boberwires_af03.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now the in-game shots. I haven't quite finished with the prop detailing yet, and more custom props are coming as well.

EDIT: Cleaned up the images.

bober_af01_s.jpgbober_af02_s.jpg

bober_af03_s.jpgbober_af04_s.jpg

bober_af05_s.jpgbober_af06_s.jpg

bober_af07_s.jpgbober_af08_s.jpg

bober_af09_s.jpgbober_af10_s.jpg

bober_af11_s.jpgbober_af12_s.jpg

bober_af13_s.jpgbober_af14_s.jpg
  • madrocker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can i get a hold of this engine. I don't want to use UDK