Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Turret WIP

im currently working on this piece still WIP.. i am UV/texturing it atm... will update soon with textures ... feel free to critique .. thanks in advance ..
8320_1035760870519_1720389388_69162_7690555_n.jpg

Replies

• Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool, though it would be nice to see a larger render.

Only thing I can think at the moment is that the pipe in the upper part of the hydraulics that is holding up the gun look a little thin and too weak to support the size of the gun.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far.. i think you can push the idea a bit further and flesh it out a little bit.. right now it looks like a simple gun pokin out of the ceiling.. maybe add a camera?

Is it a laser gun, or a gun type turret? maybe add a cool looking clip and action mechanism too :D

just some thoughts!
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    have you think about how it look from the bottom? you know i see itll be mounted on the celling so the bottom angle will be the one most important (if you plan mounting it other way its cool, i just want to point it out, in our company someone done the same mistake, it ended on redesigning the whole mesh right after we seen it ingame finished :) )
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the responses...

@Zotter : yes it appears that the gun is heavier for that part of the hydraulics to hold it up.. but if you think about it this is a laser turret and the gun part is made out of plastic .. however i made the gun oversize for design reasons . it gives this object a stylized feel that i am happy with.. but if you were my art director... id change it no questions asked!!!..

@AtlusZMH : yes it is a laser turret... and your right it does look plain atm ill revize and add more elements to my design..

@Hatred : good point .. characters walk below this object ... as an artist i want the player to take notice of the beautifull environment he is in and that includes the props that go with it... ill design a bottom part..
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update on that turret.

8320_1037698958970_1720389388_73230_7643799_n.jpg

critiques are more than welcome...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I dig the design. feels artillery-y

my only beef is the barrel (and it's pretty minor) but the tip looks rather phallic, and it's also ribbed for her pleasure.

I would elongate the flash hider, cut some holes in it, lose the ribbing in the middle, and taper the whole barrel down toward the tip slightly.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'd put the camera off to the side. It looks like the barrel of the turret would obsctruct the view currently. I also think a touch of asymmetry does any art asset good, especially stuff with wires and stuff.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i see what you guys are saying i will update...
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for pointing that out Tumerboy... i made some changes... hope its doesnt read like that anymore..

8320_1037994166350_1720389388_73919_1312636_n.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got too much shit going on on the barrel. What are the indents down the side? The flash hider still seems too mushy and butt-pluggy.

Take a look around at some Anti Aircraft guns, they always look rather turrety to me (just scaled up). Look at the barrels & flash hiders on them.

mk5-oerlikon-35mm-anti-aircraft-s.jpg
    anti-aircraft-gun.jpg
    40%20mm%20langeland.jpg
    800px-German_105_mm_Flak_38_anti-aircraft_gun.jpg
    The Mk. 19 is also a good ref.
    mk19mod3-3.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok one thing to note tumerboy is this is a laser turret not a gun turret. but ill ake more changes NP..
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL sorry, must have missed that somewhere.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NP. i need all the help i can get.