Home Technical Talk

AA within Unreal 3 editor

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Heya,

Is there at all a way to force AA when viewing the Unreal 3 editor? I've tried forcing it on ut3.exe via the nVidia control panel, but that's not working.

I've been resizing my images to half-resolution in the mean, which I don't like doing. But the high-res ones are so jaggy they aren't worth showing.

What about rendering a screenshot of your desktop at a forced resolution higher than what your monitor shows? If possible, that could be a back-up plan.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »
    What about rendering a screenshot of your desktop at a forced resolution higher than what your monitor shows? If possible, that could be a back-up plan.

Thoughts?

thats how i do it, i force the game to run at like 2000 pixels wide or so in windowed mode and take a screenshot. There is another way that just takes a screen at higher res without having to do this i think though, but I havn't found it yet.

When running the game from the editor, press tab
    then type "rc" (not 100% sure if this is correct though, dont have unreal3 installed to check right now)

this brings up a window where you can change the resolution, set it to 2000*2000 or so
    then in the window, press tab and write "screenshot" and it'll write a bmp to your unreal3 folder in my documents/my games

bah i'm so annoyed with so many modern games not haveing anti aliasing because of a deferred renderer.. i'd gladly sacrifice half the triangle count or texture memory that can be used if that means there will be AA
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I don't want to have to run the game, as I cannot find my CD KEY. I was hoping I'd be able to force it to the editor window directly :(
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    buy it on steam for like 5$ :p
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can't turn on AA in the Unreal Editor at all? That's pretty poor :(
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    This post from the epic forum should help with making massive screenshots.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26092468&postcount=1397
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    I remember back in the UE2 days there used to be a script command to do just that; force a tiled rendered of a single frame to get to higher resolutions screenshots.
    But I have no idea if they removed it from UE3.

yes, I know it doesn't help :)

edit: busted while typing ;)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've got a level built I think you will be able to use the "play in editor" function, possibly without your CD Key. Then you can bring up the console and use the method Peris outlined or use "tiledshot" command, then resize in Photoshop.

This page from UDN explains the tiledshot command.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingScreenshots.html

EDIT:

nrek beat me to it :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Get the shot you want and type "tiledshot" in the command line, i beleive. Should pop the shot into the correct directory. This will produce a very high res image.

You'll see the screen zoom and do some wacky stuff for a few seconds and know it worked.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, hmm ok. One thing I doubt possible will be my camera shortcuts transitioning to the game :(

So, if the tiledshot + noclip (and hide my HUD/weapon/nothing on my screen?) will work in the game, I'm golden.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I use the tiledshot command from the play in editor, you can get some crazy resolution images by manually setting the size as it says in Bens Apuna's link.

Me and a friend experimented with the tiledshot command and it can render very large images. It might seem as if it has crashed but if you leave the PC alone and let it do its crunching it comes back to life and you have a huge 10k+ bitmap lol.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome! I can't wait. Right now I am getting this jaggy bullshit from the editor :(
    22WT_ingameWIP_06b_large.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    You could try forcing it via nHancer...maybe that will work?
    http://www.nhancer.com/
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OR... install vista and use dx10. and force it on nvidia control panel :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    not to crit the image ;) but the addition of some radial ripples where the foot is in the water. May look good.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I have yet to get AA to work within the editor either, but I think it's worthwhile to publish the map and take screenshots with real AA from within UT3. The thing about resizing tiledshots is that it will also make the emissive glow half as large - which may or may not be a big deal depending on the scene.

Either way the screenshots look crisper if you take screens from ingame.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Slainean wrote: »
    I have yet to get AA to work within the editor either, but I think it's worthwhile to publish the map and take screenshots with real AA from within UT3. The thing about resizing tiledshots is that it will also make the emissive glow half as large - which may or may not be a big deal depending on the scene.

Either way the screenshots look crisper if you take screens from ingame.

Cool, I have to check this out. I assume playing unreal using the unpublished folder would still give you the same nice results but save you the step of having to publish the map correct?
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For UT3/Unrealed,

Load the editor, save your map as something like "DM-<mapname>" so you'll do the regular load out when you play the level. Right click somewhere in the level and select "Play from here" and you'll jump in your world, press F10 to bring up the console, and type "togglescreenshotmode" and this will remove all the UI and FPS stuff from the screen. Then you type something like "tiledscreenshot 3" or something similar to get a much higher res version (tiledscreenshot 2, tiledscreenshot, 6, etc.). I think that's all the steps, I'm away from UT3/UnrealEd right now, but that's off the top of my head.

Hope it helps. :)
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, if you don't save it with a DM, CTF, etc. prefix, you'll load w/ the "Unreal Engine 3.0" logo at the top which will also appear in your tiled screenshot. Not sure if there's a way around this. :)