Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Mistry , Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys this is my current portfolio. I'm entering my final year in college and would like a critique on my portfolio and would like to know what more i need to add to my portfolio to get a job in this industry. I've planned out to create in total 3 sculpts in Zbrush ( bust, creature). I've also planned out to do more tanks and vehicles. Also create one more set piece based on Mumbai, India. And lastly create a pretty simple level in UE3.

www.hitenmistry.com - Environment Artist

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Your environment work looks really good.
    Especially the Normandy Scene, which I am assuming is your latest work. My only suggestion is to write a little bit about the scene at the top to let the viewer know more.
    For example, I would be far more impressed if this was an in game screen shot.
    Atm, I have no idea if it is rendered, in game, or even what software you used.

However, for a guy who is entering his final year of college, I would say you are way ahead of the game, when it comes to landing a job in the games industry.

I think your plan sounds pretty solid, but I don't see the point in you creating zbrush sculpts of creatures or characters, when you want to be an Environment Artist.
    Tbh, the character on your site, imo is by far the weakest thing on your portfolio, and since you don't want to be a character artist and your already such a good environment artist, I really think you should just focus on environment art.

So if you want to do sculpts, make them of rocks or something environment related.
    Tanks and vehicles might be a good idea though.

So I think if you just bust out 3 more scenes during the course of this year you will be in really good shape for landing a gig out of college.

Good job, keep it up!
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Like Brad said, your environments are nice and i think you should kick your character because you dont want to be a character artist and its your weakest piece, maybe work a bit more on that airplane, it looks unfinished to me. You could make a sculpting of a statue instead of that character to show that you can make such stuff too without confusing why your environment folio has character art. Keep it up :thumbup:
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The normandy scene looks great but its a huge huge waste of texture space. Everything is character mapped where you should be using tileables and decales to break up things.

Still very nice scene
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    I'd drop that character.
    If you can do a couple more environments of equal quality to your normandy scene, I'd say you're in the clear.
    It would be nice if the images of individual buildings were larger to see the details in the texture.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think the second image you have in your normandy scene is way cooler than your first. Use that for your thumbnail
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    What programs did you use for Normandy and is that in a game engine? You've got skills!
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normandy is great, though a bit generous in the txr department like autocon said.

I'd also drop the tutorials. Setting up folders in photoshop doesn't really necessitate a "tutorial" title
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice environments, I want bigger images though. Adding a bit of info is a good suggestion too, that'd help in evaluating just how awesome they are ;) The prop in the asian scene doesn't seem to actually be in the scene itself, just as a separte piece which is a bit of a shame, it would fit in nicely with the rest of the scene. Any particular reason you didn't add it in?
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey, awesome job on the environments! One of the artists on my project team was totally checking out the temple earlier today for inspiration.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ BradMyers82: thanks, i'll be sure to add a little description about each scene. I do agree with you about the character (it is pretty weak) so i'll drop that from my portfolio. And i also agree with you about creating environment assets in Zbrush instead of creatures/characters.

@ EbolaV: thanks man, i'll be sure to take out that character from my portfolio. I actully had a textured version of that airplane, but the textures looked pretty bad compared to my new work so i just put up the clay render.

@ Autocon: thanks :)

@ mLink : i'll be sure to drop the character, i'll be sure to add links to the hi rez version of the buildings and other props.

@ aesir: thanks, but i;m gonna leave the thumbnail as it is because it shows the entire scene better the other pic.

@ joe gracey : Hi Joe, i used 3ds Max and Photoshop and it was rendered out of 3ds Max.

@ VikingJim : thanks,

@ urgaffel : thanks, the sets will be linked to the hi rez version soon and i'll add a bit of info on each scene soon. all the props in the asian scene was rendered together.

@ Celes : thanks man !

i'll be sure to update my website very soon, and i'll post back with the refinements.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys updated the site, with most of the recommendations.

here is a link to my sketchbook thread for those of you how want to follow my final year in college.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=993796#post993796

thanks again for the advice !
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, nice portfolio!

Looking forward to the Making of Normandy:1944
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    not really a crit on your work. i have to agree with everyone else that your work looks great :)
    just something i have been wondering.
    wouldn't it make sense to do bigger pics for a portfolio, maybe not full rez, but 600-800 width seems kinda small when people usually have at least 1024 or 1280 screen width?
    working on a portfolio as well atm, and i've been worried that some detail could get lost in the small size, or even make them think i'm trying to hide flaws.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    oh, and i'm a total retard for not noticing the click for full rez :P
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] : thanks man !

lefix: we all make mistakes :)