Home Technical Talk

Crazybump 3ds max shader

Does anyone happen to know how to directly transfer the shader values from crazybump into 3ds max so you can basically replicate the crazybump previewer.

I dont know if a shader exists to do such a thing, i browsed through the program files to see if there was a shader config file or anything i could load in max but couldn't find anything. The default values in max dont seem to replicate the crazybump previewer.

Cheers,

Frubes

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you can ask in the crazybump forum or send rian a pm
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Frubes,

I must confess that I'm not an expert with Max. I'll try to help if I can tho!

CrazyBump's shader is really basic. It shouldn't be difficult to get your materials looking pretty much the same.

Is it the specularity that's not looking correct in Max?

If so, you may need to adjust the gloss (specular exponent) value in CrazyBump to match your max shader, or vice-versa. CrazyBump doesn't use a gloss map - just a constant, which you can adjust using a slider that appears on the preview window when the "specularity" tab is selected.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    In case it helps, here's a quick pseudocode description of CrazyBump's shader (with parallax displacement omitted).

All the vectors are in tangent-space.
    DiffuseColor = DiffuseTexture * (LightVector DOT NormalVector)

SpecularColor = SpecularTexture * (HalfVector DOT NormalVector) ^ Gloss

OutputColor = (DiffuseColor + SpecularColor) * OcclusionTexture

Pretty basic. Nothing special about it. If your MAX renders are looking different, my guess is that different gloss values are being used. Or maybe different axis-orientations for the normal map? You can adjust axis-orientation on CrazyBump's properties page.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. The normal maps are what seem to be coming out at different strengths and i thought it could be an object/tangent issue but it doesn't appear to be the case with both max and cb on tangent space. If i get a chance at lunch ill post some shots to show you what i mean.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i should also mention i was looking at a realtime DX shader and not a render if that makes any difference?