Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gargoyle [UT3 Char]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
I have finished the Gargoyle that I made for the UT3 "The Crucible" mod.

High Poly:
gargoylehigh.jpg

The idea behind is is that a stone structure is under his skin that is pushing against his skin and flesh and also breaking through it at a few places. The wings are more of a stone skeleton which could be used as a weapon because clearly no wings can lift a beast like this in the air.

In the Character Selection:
gargoyleselection.jpg

I have also made some fancy material effects. His Skin is pulsating/warping and stone structure is pushing under it against it. The slime, eyes and wings stuff is also warping and slime also drips out of his mouth. It also features a extra effect where the stones are bumping and lots of different horns for customisation.
Can be all seen in this vid:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07S9pklPqfI[/ame]

Some ingame screenshots:
gargoyleingame.jpg

The Crucible mod participates in the Make Something Unreal Contest, more info about this mod can be found here: http://www.runestorm.com/news.php

The mod is released now:
http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12939

Replies

• Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty sweet man, the pulsating reminds me of clamation, which is awesome. Did you guys use a custom rig for him?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • torontoanimator
    looking pretty good, the only critique i have is does his stomach twist and deform properly when hes moving? to me personally the texture and geometry look a bit vague in his midsection, so i imagine it might look kinda warped whn that parts moving, aside from that though, very awesome
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the skin doesnt read as anything :( i mean it has a weird color scheme with no sense of texture, i thought it was just a wip or you playing around with poly paint, but seems you used it as deffinitive diffuse :S other than that the sculpt is solid and you put it ingame wich is good, good job ^^
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Sculpt looks nice, Davision! I really hope you'd consider going back to your diffuse, though? It really lacks variation in both color and material!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, love the twitching stone pieces. Did you submit it to MSUC?

Actually I guess you are just changing different stone pieces in the video. It would be awesome if thy moved :P
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx all :)

@Heart_Murmur
    No, I had to rig him to the human rig because otherwise I had to do a huge amount of animations just for him. But it worked fine, also the differnt legs were no big deal. The Necris have a simliar legs structure and also use the Human skeleton btw.

@ torontoanimator
    The Stomach is no problem but i had a lot of problem with the stones at his hips. I ended up with a quite a lot of distortion there.

@ Johny
    Well, what I wanted for the texture is to have that contrast between the stones/bonestones and the skin/flesh. I have also done a layered colored fresnel effect and slight transmission for the fleshy areas. Except for some slight veins I did not much detailing for the skin in the diffuse because I thought it would be already busy enough with all the stretching skin and warping effect. The bloody stuff is violet because I wanted the thing that powers him to look unatural more magicly like. The yellowish is just there to get more contrast to the other body parts and make the whole thing easier to read.

@ stoofoo
    There are already more variations for customisation planed. I guess i will do one that that has huge contrast in color and material and a different color scheme.

@ commander_keen
    Its only in the Crucible mod that participates in the MSUC. There is no best character category this time around.
    Yea, 2 layers of more rising stone pieces that only get randomly masked. Its all just material effects. :P
  • Davision3D
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    the color map looks a bit flat, i think the difference between stone and flesh in the shader isn't visible enough, but exept for that point, the rest is just insane, the animation and the customs he has, makes him so cool :D
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx :)
    I will do a second version later on that sells that difference better.
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    I wasn't too big on the model when I saw the first images but it comes really nicely together ingame and I think the washed out look fits UT really nicely.

If you want to give the texture another pass of course feel free, but I think what you have here is really strong, once it is ingame. Which is the only thing that matters.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Really dig this, but, the crotch/hip area looks a little odd...don't even know what I would do different. Oh and hilarious sounds for him!!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, dude. Nice work.
    That drooling stuff is extremley like claymation.
    Was that intended?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx

@ LoM Chaos
    the drooling stuff should look like the structure under his skin is moveing