Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Apocalypse Seer Concept

Replies

• praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks- like I said- it's a heavy model right now, sitting at early 3K!! Mainly the piping, which has 1.8K due to so many loops, but I did this with the optiimisation in mind and know exactly how to reduce the count; with a 10K target, this important area of the model is budgeted for around 1.5K so I will trim fat when the rest is done :)

~P~
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    the shorter versions of the katana are the wakizashi and the tanto, although another katana imo would be best due to texture space. nice progress so far.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP!

WillyWilson- that's good to know. I could probably have googled it but I am lazy/concentrating on other areas (delete whichever you find less believable!).

A second Katana may appear, for the reasons you've said. Poly count will dictate that decision!

~P~

PS Anyone know how to fake an emissive material in Marmoset? I'm thinking of ramping the brightness and bloom on a separate screengrab and comping and masking it in photoshop...
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    I really like this model, it looks awesome! Especially the animalistic features of the equipment, the horn-like helmet and the ram horn shapes on the thigh guard.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Sexy bake. This is comming along nicely.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absolutely beautiful !!!

I was reading post #31 , have you also tried the Mel script "Extended duplicate" ?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really liking this. Looks great.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3Dskillet- I did indeed, and found it mighty, but I could't get it to operate in the way I had seen it working in the Nox vid. I will return to trying it out though cos it looks fab!

~P~
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    awesome work
    i like the details and the overall concept
  • thegreypencil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is much inspiring man :)

And I agree, that is one helluva clean bake.

thumbs up!
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Look greats! I hope future breast pumps look like that :D
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    edit: only saw first page.

this is looking nice though, i loled at the breast pump comments. everyone beat me to it, it seems
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Not working today, so I've had some time to build some more low poly mesh; working on the armour and backpack, prior to putting the arms and torso in. The UV map is insanely packed to fit everything into a single map, but it's going okay. Un-optimised, this is about 5K, so on track for my 10K budget once I strip out a lot of bevels and cuts that are there for the bake process. Overall the model, unwrap and bake process is going pretty smooth, which is great cos usually baking normals is where I grind to a halt for hours whilst finding faces I missed and buggered up UVs :)

Going to add some work into the AO where separately baked elements intersect- e.g. shoulder pad "screws", and overlay some of the normal maps onto themselves to pump the volumes- some of the pipe ribbing isn't reading very heavily for instance.

~P~

headandshoulderstest.jpg
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    Nice work! I look forward to seeing the finished low poly model.
    praxedes wrote: »
    some of the pipe ribbing isn't reading very heavily for instance.
    A lot of the detail in the high poly model comes from faces with surface normals that are perpendicular to the surface normal of the low poly model. That detail is showing up in the AO, but you're not going to see it in the projected normal map. I like the design of the hoses but a more typical hose with rounded ribs would provide more information in the normal map.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, useful technical info thanks! I'll figure a way round it for this model and redesign my piping next time :)

~P~
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay- got the upper body done now. A few errors on the glove texture, but easily fixed. Poly count is getting high- this is 8K, so I've got a lot to trim if I want to hit 10K total. I hope the legs don't take up too much; they're petty simple forms. Cloak and weapons will be on a separate map, but everything else in on one 2056 texture.

Cheers

~P~

upperbodytest.jpg

upperbodytest2.jpg
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    Insane amount's of detail, really cool design for the suit as well!
    I'm wondering if she turns her head wont the helmet thing hit the spikes on her shoulders? Is there enough room?
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Wesley- you can't really tell from these images, but the shoulder spike things arc backwards, and she has full rotation for a normal human head :) Thanks for the comments!

~P~
  • obeyurnapster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 9
    damn toolbag rendering is beautiful
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the low poly is made :) Came in at 10.5K. No doubt a better modeller than I could trim that magic 500 out but I'm stuck, so I'll call it done and learn for the next peice.

I've got some work in the maps to do, mainly a few normal tracing errors and wobbly bits that are easy fixes. I'll get her textured up and do her staff and sword separately- I'm pretty sick of UV unwrap--bake maps--comp in photoshop--test in Marmoset right now, so painting some diffuse will be a nice change of pace!

NB no aplha on the cloak yet, hence the weird black artefacts.

Peace out

~P~

bodytest.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I've been following this for awhile, and man... this is coming together so nicely, can't wait for the textures :)

Great job so far praxedes!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    totally love your work and cant wait for the textures
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well- hopefully I haven't ruined the damn thing with the texturing so far, but I've been staring at it so long I have lost all objectivity so please take a look-see

There's a lot of wear and tear here which I haven't fully worked into the spec and morals yet, but I think the colour scheme is what I want...and I'm playing with coloured spec for the first time which is proving fun, if often unexpected!

Still a way to go but...

seeress_diffuseWIP2.jpg

seeress_diffuseWIP3.jpg

~P~
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    didnt expect that
    hoped for a blueish metal style with same fancy things
    the brown looks kinda plain
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm- you mean the bone coloured bits stay the same, and the brownish areas should be bluish grey? I actually had this scheme for the longest time...maybe I shold take another look at it...

this is what I need to know- I've really struggled to find a palette that fits and I am ready to alter it if need be!

~P~
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean more like this?

seeress_diffuseWIP5.jpg

seeress_diffuseWIP4.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ignore the above- it's super-saturated :P

I am working on an alternative now...

~P~
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the colors. Can you post an image without a black background. Would be easier to make out the sillouette.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay-

here are the two main directions for the colour scheme, with a grey bg...

SeeressDIFFWIP5.jpg

SeeressDIFFWIP6.jpg

Opinions welcomed- do I go with brown, and just contrast the other colour more, go with grey, or another option? I'm leaning towards the brown but with some more work...

~P~
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colors are great imo. Good work!
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colors are looking awesome, this whole damn thing has looked awesome since I started watching it, but the colors just totally make i pop. I do like the second option more though (with the slightly cool grey accents). Very nice work.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    second color scheme, i like it
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retopology is such a pain, would be great to have just a highpoly model ( we can only dream eh :P ?)

Awesome model!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all :)

@Alec3D- I quite enjoyed the retopo, although in a few places it pissed me off. I think the final model looks good though :) Bit of fiddling in the textures to do but this is close to finished now. Got some glowy-stuff to add in for MYSTIC POWERRRR" of her staff and glove.

Weapons next (easy) and then rigging (arrghh)

~P~
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Pure sex. I actually like the more rust colored version, it looks more post apoc imo but if post apoc isn't the goal then go with the 2nd one, it does pop a little better.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I like the more rusted look of the metal better (so the first one), although maybe including some darker colours in there (i do like how the arm looks with the darker metal) would help pop out some key areas (as Xaltar said).

One thing that is really throwing me off is that green emerald thing in the middle of her loin cloth thing... why not try a purple colour with a nice / deep blueish spec on it?
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    curse you all and your lack of drone-like consensus! Now I will have to form an opinion of my own!! :P

Thanks to all for the comments. I've decided to go with the more grey metal cos I like the contrast and "pop" it gives the forms- but to compensate I'm upping the amount of weathering and wear on it to retain a nicely post-apocalyptic feel (why is the apocalypse always associated with the loss of good metal protection agents, regardless of other technology available?)

@JasonLavoie- totally with you on the green gem. I stuck in in as a placeholder but always saw it as a more "amber-like" material, or possibly like warpstone from WFB. Blueish is intriguing. I'll play with it tomorrow. I have modelled and unwrapped the low poly weapons and staff so I'll texture those up and rig her this weekend, so posed shots on Monday provided nothing goes wrong!

Cheers all

~P~
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could just go the over-the-top-symbolism route and make the gem pink...
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i would suggest duplicating the stitched leather skirt thing in the front, cutting it off above the knees to bring out some more femininity. AND throw an alpha on the edges. I think you probably planned to do this anyway and just haven't yet. ALSO, she looks kind of clean. Maybe just add some muddy color to her boots and bottom of skirt.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    god this is amazing.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice.

I want her glasses. Yeah, that round thing, the FutureVisor 9000. I'd love to see the reaction of random people when walking down the street, or better yet - the subway at rush hour!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @P442- yeah there is an alpha for the skirt. I just haven't got it working in marmoset the way I like yet. If I don't get the call to go into work today, it's on my to do list :)

Not so sure about the skirt coming round th front though...I might try it and see. I deliberately didn't want a feminine sci fi version of the chain mail bikini look- I wanted it more utilitarian, but hey, she's got horns so I guess that's out the window!

~P~
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weapons coming along now. Here's a WIP on the sword to give an idea, no spec yet so that's quite random. 250 tris. The other stuff should be finished today so rig and update well on track :)

~P~

swordWIP.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all-

added in the weapons now and fiddled with the diffuse in ways apparently undetectable by human eye :)

I couldn't get a look I liked for the staff so went back to two swords. Poly count on these boys in 900 tris for the two, with scabbards and all. Got room on their maps for some glowing particle stuff to wreath around the glove for the final image.

Currently rigging her up- mostly basic stuff, but the pipes there are giving me a real headache. Anyone offer any advice, I'm rigging in Maya and running rigomatic for most of my rig generation. Cheers!

~P~

SeeressDIFFWIP7.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome character dude! I can't wait to see her posed. My only crits would be to tone down the yellow/gold, and maybe add some subtle baked in shadows on the pants under the metal plates. Good luck with the rig.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, hearing you on the gold- toned it down on the diffuse but the spec is waaay too coloured. Good call on baking in shadows on the legs- will look into that!

~P~
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some pose tests. Got a lot of work on so not had much time to rig, but I'm pretty much there now- Got a few minor things to do then proper posing for the beauty shots and it's done!

posedWIP03.jpg

posedWIP01.jpg

posedWIP02.jpg

posedWIP04.jpg

This is the kind of look I'm going to go for for the final shot- suppotred by some other poses. Please ignore the weird whay she's holding her sword- I'll adjust this in the final and ad in a backdrop!

posedWIP05.jpg

Cheers!

~P~