Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Site - Crits and Guidance Requested

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
Heya guys!
I wanted to offer up my Portfolio Site to all of you hard-working polycounters to critique and give me some advice.

http://www.copelandworks.com

Long story short, I was laid off from my job as a prop artist almost a year ago, and have been having a hell of a time trying to find work. I'm hoping to continue on the environment track (since that's where I have the most experience), but is there something on my portfolio site that may be interfering with getting me an interview? Is there more of a particular thing that I should be showing?

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, to be completely honest, my guess, is you need to up your skills a bit if you want to land a job. At least work on your presentation for your environment stuff. Sorry if I sound harsh, but there are so many talented artists out of work now, it's really difficult to get work; so I don't want to beat around the bush with you.
    My crits:
    Get rid of everything from the air ship down. The work is either incomplete, older looking, blurry etc.
    These are definitely your weaker links, so you're better off without them.

Now your main work above, I click on a link expecting to see break downs, and I am left wondering what exactly it is I am looking at.
    The images are small, and don't give me any idea how detailed the scene is, the polycount, or texture resolutions, layouts etc. I can't even tell if this is an in game shot or not, which really leaves me clueless. I'm sure a potential employer will not take the time to dig into your work, and ask you questions so they have a better idea. So... this is the first thing you should fix.
    My advice is that you look up some other environment artists that recently got jobs, to see what you're up against. Try to use similar setups, and try to get your work up to that level.
    Vik and PopeAdam are two that come to mind off the top of my head.
    Looking at your work, I can see you have a lot of potential, and possibly it's just a matter of working on your presentation. Plus you have experience, so that will certainly help you when job hunting. Good luck man! How about starting a WIP thread here on polycount so you can get crits as you go?
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Brad, that's exactly what I needed!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the most common color in all pieces is gray,- so yes presentation needs work. Good luck finding a new job
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont have anything to show for my own (yet), but I would say, portfolios are a lot more interesting when you have a good enviro piece and then the artist breaks it down for you and explains what they did. Show maps, concepts, wires, leave notes to explain some modular pieces you may have used.

Right now, the layout is clean and works, but the actual content is lacking...