Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knife Concept

Hello again, here is a knife I've been working on as a side project. Any comments on what I have done as well as any recommendations for the future components are welcome and appreciated!

The first picture is the concept sheet for the knife, comments are welcome for this too.
knifeg.jpg

The next two are views of the hilt. Let me know what you guys think.
knife1s.jpg

knife2.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    your geometry seems to be quite messy in the bottom area of the hilt. it looks as though you went and modeled each of the spiked areas individiually. what i would recommend is taking one (IMO the one on the right looks to be the best), and duplicating it all the way around. also it looks as if this entire model is made of one mesh. that is okay but you will need to watch out for areas that could pose a problem.

where the hilt goes down, and then comes back up for the golden decor, give that some thickness by chamfering the edgeloop on the top.also you may want to relax some areas to give you a smooth result.

other than that it looks quite promising. reminds me of a model i did for a LOTR Weapon pack mod for a Star Wars game. ill post whatever ive got from those for you to use as reference. for now its just textured models but if u want i can get wires for you when i get the chance.

knives.jpg
    Hadhafang.jpg
  • Forgottenhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks! Wires of those weapons would be great. I appreciate the comment about the bottom of the hilt, I thought it could use some more love.
    I've gone ahead and built the blade of the sword as well as the top of the hilt but havent fixed the bottom of the hilt yet, here are the pix:

knife3.jpg

knife4.jpg

The blade isn't attached, neither is the sphere at the bottom. My next chore is to clean up the bottom of the hilt and then unwrap it.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good. regarding the sphere at the bottom. i dont know if this is going to be a game model, but if it is, the sphere is waaay too dense. first, i would recommend using a geosphere, because you dont get an issue of a pole at the top and bottom. and also just tone down the ammount of segments on initial creation. something that small does not necessarilly have to be that smooth. i would recommend a 8-10 segment sphere at most.
  • Forgottenhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was really just going to use this as a visual piece, but it would look cool in oblivion or something :) I'll see what I can do, I already lowered the geo on the sphere by deleting the initial one and using a spherified 4X4 box, but a little less geo couldnt hurt. Thanks for the feedback Oniram!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a spheriphied 4x4 box? hmm. thats a new one. if you were going to take that route i would maybe suggets just a plain old box.. all segments down as low as possible (i guess that would be 1). and then put a turbosmooth on it. that i think gives a good looking sphere shape. but whatever works for you. glad i could be of some help.
  • Forgottenhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    **UPDATE**
    I've imported the mesh into Mudbox and started playing around with it. This one was just meant to be a sort of "practice piece" so I ended up not taking the time to fix the bottom of the hilt.
    Here is what I have so far, I didn't really have any sketches to go off of besides my original concept. I thought that the drawing I made before didnt really give the knife much character so I went in a completely different direction with the style of the blade. I wanted a more organic and bony feel to the hilt, and I plan to give the blade of the weapon some runic symbols or something of the like.

Any comments or suggestions on the mudbox version are welcome. :)
    hiltmud.png